Music Producer Beginner's Hardware

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by xmarket, Sep 10, 2012.

1. xmarket

xmarket Newbie

I am new to this field, and learning fast.

What hardware and audio devices to you advice for a music producer at beginner level to purchase ?

Something that is not to expensive, but affordable and which can offer to me the chance to develop my skills in Ableton Live.

thanks in advance

3. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Decent speaker monitors, decent headphones, and an interface would be a good place to start. A MIDI keyboard. The selection and price ranges are wide and varied. Add extra expense for the cables you will need.

4. Nastynasty

Nastynasty Newbie

Yep, you can get a lot done with nothing but your mouse and keyboard but knowing what the stuff you're doing actually sounds like is probably the most important thing so decent monitors of some kind are a good idea. Then an interface/sound card and a midi keyboard just like Algea says.

With hindsight I wouldn't buy any other type of controller (eg faders/clip launcher/drum machine types) until I felt there was something I was already doing that would be easier done with that particular controller. You can also buy keyboards with most of those things on them anyway.

If you've got the cash to blow on a new toy though (we all dream of this) just think about what it is you want to be doing read some reviews to find what does most of those things then go out and buy whatever you think is coolest, something will catch your eye. There's so many and they all have their pros and cons.