Music Distribution Services & Tunecore cover policies

Discussion in 'Music' started by Vincent Price, Jun 23, 2024.

1. When it comes to releasing your music, which distribution service do you prefer?

I'm looking at TuneCore but want to be sure they handle all the copyright stuff, especially if I decide to release a cover song.

Thanks in advance!

3. omiac

omiac Moderator Staff Member

Assuming you already have your ducks in a row.. perhaps call them on the phone, talk to an actual person, and get copies of contracts emailed before you sign anything? :dunno:

*Never ever pay up front.. make them earn that cut.. in fact, they should be paying you :unsure:

4. For what? Covers? Call the original artist up or the distribution service?

5. omiac

Either and/or?

When it comes to releasing your music...
    original, remix, cover etc., there are numerous ways to go about licensing, releasing, publishing. Are you planning on boutique digital stores, streaming, pressing vinyl, all of the above? Or just putting it on your socials, SC and YT? Speak with your platform, distributer, label, manager, or do absolutely nothing (white label/bootleg). Research about the artist and their reps etc, DIY it all? Too many variables for one generic answer.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2024
  6. YanBens

YanBens Newbie

7. omiac

Sorry, but anywhere pushing Spotify's Distrokid as #1 "best" has lost any and all credibility as far as I am concerned. They don't even list any of the long established credible distribution companies I use. In fact, IMO their top 16 "best" list is a whos who of who to avoid!