Music Distribution Service

Discussion in 'Internet for Musician' started by Johnney K, Mar 11, 2024.

1. Johnney K

Johnney K Member

So i thought about using a music distribution service put there are so many scams and fakes.

Can you reccomend me a music distribution service from your own experience.

Thank you for every Answer in advance.

3. Lad Impala

Lad Impala Platinum Record

what do you mean by scam and fake?
    i think you shouldnt have this kind of problem if you stick to the main ones

4. Johnney K

Johnney K Member

I Read in other chats fake Promotion, Songs still online even after the Profile was deleted the list goes on and on.

So which on are the Main ones.

5. Lad Impala

ok. those online music distribution services doesn't do any promotion normally.
    so if want a promotion site you'd have to do a better research because a lot of those ARE fake and they will get you banned (for bot streaming).
    services of online distribution i know
    • CD baby
    • distro Kid (i think is owned by spotify)
    • tunecore
    • onerpm
    • landr
    • ditto music
    those are just a few... idk about their costumer service though, but pretty sure those are not fake companies

6. Lad Impala

i'd put that kind of problem in costumer service. which i unfortunately cant help you with that.
    i've used tunecore sometime ago, never had problem with them, but i hear some people do

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. Lorrislehorse

Lorrislehorse Ultrasonic

I've started with Ditto, i think i've stoped using it because they've removed paypal
    I tryed Routenote but they're annoying with Copyrights, so if you use any sample they will annoy you
    Then i've used Amuse but in the end i'm done with commercial

Bandcamp is the best to earn money as an indie musician imo.

8. MrDeeJayJJ

MrDeeJayJJ Member

Label Worx has been great for me, been using it since 2016, Tried Plugin Alliances distribution on their mastering.studio website and it wasn't great, I have also used SoundCloud's artist panel for distribution, that has been rather good, get a paypal payment each month without needing to do anything.

Music still being online after the profiles being deleted can just be, because it takes time for the stores to take the music down, once a track has passed its release date, there's very little the distributor can do other than send them a notice to remove the tracks from the store, which can take time. I know when I have had Label Worx remove music from stores, it can take up to the next 2 quarters for its to be removed from all stores. Its not an instant thing.

9. m.sarti

m.sarti Producer

TuneWhore is too expensive, and its owner is a jerk who publicly insulted me on his blog, and one can never completely delete one's account.
    RouteNote screwed with me, but it was years ago, so I don't remember the details.
    DistroKid's customer service was terrible, and resorted to passive-aggressive hostility when I was trying to get them to explain their inconsistencies.

I recently uploaded a lot of songs to Spitofy via Amuse, which is relatively straightforward, though the lag-time in customer service is annoying. Amuse makes it possible to click one button and have a release removed from distribution; other services rely upon the competence of its functionaries to get around to it. Amuse has a free-tier service of one release (song or album) every 30 days.

Stay away from distro services that "offer" licensing, publishing, publicity, and so forth. Not only are they nickel-and-diming you, they're a lot more astute than you as to their legalities and how to profit from them as intermediaries.

I use Spitofy for the benefit of streaming, and Bandcamp for retail sales of downloads. I do not use a distributor for retail sales, because not only is more money lost in the transactions, transactions can get lost in the shuffle. The most direct route between your wares and your pocket is preferable. Back when one could still upload directly to Amazon Music, Amazon notified me that sales reports for a month or two had gone missing, so they sent me an amount of money "estimated" to be what I presumably would have earned during that time. Even Bandcamp I don't trust, especially since sales there are no longer immediately reported and paid.

I don't like how Spitofy enables downloads for Premium users, because that enters into the realm of mechanical royalties, and there is no additional compensation paid for that. Playable files on Bandcamp can be downloaded (in 128kbps MP3 format) via a browser plug-in or with a download client such as JDownloader, but don't tell anyone that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Johnney K

Johnney K Member

I even heard there was music uploaded on other artists site.

I thought about landr put im Not 100% sure.

For my purposes its Not only about the Money i think about more how to reach a langer audience you cant expect anything great without giving something in return.

11. MrDeeJayJJ

MrDeeJayJJ Member

Quite a common issue on streaming services, as if multiple artists use the same name, then music just gets added to the same page, Something I have had to deal with a few times, you can email Spotify and they will rectify this if you have verified your artist account with them.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Lad Impala

go for it! if you don't like them you can always change later

13. muciones

muciones Kapellmeister

If you don;t advertise or post on social media links to your tracks, nobody will listen any songs. Only the big ones get money from these streaming thieves.

14. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

I remember this one time at band camp, we were all down at the lake partying, and....:winker: