Multiple versions of Fl studio?

Discussion in 'FL Studio' started by DDHARD, Dec 10, 2019.

1. DDHARD

DDHARD Ultrasonic

Can i install Fl studio 12 and keep my fl studio 20 unharmed and use both?

3. massichat

massichat Kapellmeister

Of course
    I have the versions: v8, v12.2, v12.5, v20, v20.0.4, v20.1.1.795
    They operate independently and without conflict

4. demberto

demberto Rock Star

How's that even possible??
    I know you can keep FL 12 and 20 together but idk about 12 and 12.5 since they are in the same "FL Studio 12" folder in program files
    The major version should be different i guess.

5. massichat

massichat Kapellmeister

Simply by naming the folder with the name of your choice during installation, if you already have version 12 and you want to add v12.5, you create a new folder instead of installing it in the "FL Studio 12" folder.[​IMG]

6. massichat

massichat Kapellmeister

And no, it's not because it's a major version but just because you decided to install it in a new folder.
    New folder = New installation without interaction/impact with/on other versions (whatever they are, major or minimal beta update)

7. demberto

demberto Rock Star

@massichat any registry issues? There must be some. Idk

8. massichat

massichat Kapellmeister

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. PinkNoizz

PinkNoizz Newbie

Well, on the forum there is a thread where some guy said it is possible to have multiple versions at once by installing them in different folders. So I actually done it before. But now whether I open FL Studio 11 or 20 it always start the installed later one (20). Even I run exe directly from FL11 folder it's still opens FL20. I assume that is something in registry but I didn't find any path to change or smth.

Is it any workaround without reinstalling them both?

I think it is important to mention that these are not legitimate releases from two different publishers

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
  10. statik

statik Audiosexual

it's gonna sound shitty but you're prolly doing something wrong, which you should be able to figure out since other users have done it without any problems and there's even a 'how to' in FL studio's manual.

to help you we'll need a bit more info on how and where you installed the program. what are the different folder paths where you have installed them in? have you checked the properties of the exe?

from the manual:
    1. Right-click the existing FL Studio installation icon and choose 'Open file location'.
    2. Use your file browser to go back up a level so that you can see the installation folder. Normally C:\Program Files\Image-Line\FL Studio N, where N is the FL Studio version.
    3. Create a new folder at the same level (not in the 'FL Studio N' but alongside it. Call it 'FL Studio Test' or whatever you like.
    4. Run the FL Studio installer, and when it offers the install location, set it to your folder: C:\Program Files\Image-Line\FL Studio Test
    5. There will be a new icon on the desktop for this installation. If you need to manually create a shortcut/s, Right-click the 'FL64.exe' and choose 'Create shortcut' and then drag that shortcut to your desktop.
    NOTE: The last installation of FL Studio normally becomes the default install to open project files. You can change this by opening the installation you want to use as the default, then on the General Settings select 'Associate project files with application'.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
  11. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

yes, i have FL21 and FL12 installed, works fine, no interference.

12. PinkNoizz

PinkNoizz Newbie

Everything you said I was aware. I checked all paths and folder names, that's why I decided to ask.

Anyway I found the solution. In my FLS20 release apparently was another 'readme' file where was said that if I have multiple FL version on a disk I should run patch straight from the propper version folder. I missed it because after installation, popped up a message that program was activated. And I ran it and it worked so I left it like that. Although next day, when I tried to open FL11, only FL20 was opening.

So now I reinstalled both versions and works fine.