Multiple usb powered midi keyboards?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by EddieXx, Oct 18, 2022.

1. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

I have one master usb powered midi keyboard that is powered by my desktop, sometimes I want to use it with my mpc or iPad and don’t want to have to disconnect it from my desktop.

I have used it’s analog midi input as “extra” but that doesn’t provide power when the desktop is shutdown.

Have you seen an usb-midi splitter/adapter that can do this?
    Cheers

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

A usb hub will power your controller if the computer you connect it to is powered up, otherwise you will want a hub that has it's own power supply. Your power strip does not have USB? You could just use a phone charging block also.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
  4. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

Thanks @clone , you mean a usb hub would work “standalone”, If possible could you point me in to what model of a usb he you mean, I’ve looked before but not found a solution that worked the way I need.

I would like to have my midi keyboard connected to not just the desktop, but to be able to hook up other usb midi devices toot without having to disconnect cables

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

a powered hub will just supply power from the outlet to your keyboard controller. To use it with your other devices, you will just be able to use normal Midi cables to connect it to your MPC or other non-usb MIDI devices. It does not need to be anything expensive, something like this would even work: https://a.co/d/5w21vXR. It just has to continue supplying power once your computer is powered off. They have a million configurations. It would be ideal if you could somehow supply power via midi cables, but we can't.

6. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

As @clone said, you just need a powered USB hub to avoid any undervoltage. I'm using one for several external backup drives and the (MIDI) keyboard and never had a problem.