Multiple monitoring question

Discussion in 'Studio' started by RMorgan, Aug 10, 2015.

1. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

Hey guys,

Well, I want to know if it's possible to do the following:

-I have my reference monitors hooked to my Focusrite interface.

-I have my favorite speakers hooked to my onboard audio device.

Is there any workaround that I could use to alternate between them while working on a project in my DAW (without actually having to switch drivers, of course)?

Something like: It sounds cool on my reference monitors but I want to check how it sounds on my favorite speakers > click a button > done.

It most likely would involve routing the signal from the ASIO outputs to the onboard device inputs, but I'm wondering if there's any kind of software that would be able to do that automatically.

I'm on Windows 10, by the way.

Thanks in advance,

Morgan.

3. xsze

xsze Guest

Change audio device in a DAW, few clicks away in most of them :like:

4. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

Sure. I could do that.

However, very often I end up with messed up inputs/outputs when I do that in Studio One.

Am I doing something wrong here? :)

5. xsze

xsze Guest

Dunno really :dunno:

6. lluisxvi

lluisxvi Ultrasonic

i can do that in my yamaha MS 101 III thru out

7. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

Bridge two free Focusrite outputs to Your onboard input, than use a mixer in Your DAW to select Your monitoring bus.

Or, if Your favourite monitors are active, than a simple switch (hardware) would solve the problem... with that switch You would choose on which speakers You want to send the output signal of Your Focusrite.

8. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

Presonus Monitor Station Voila

9. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

You should try loading ASIO enabling output there. then go to Studio One Output tab, Add output you need. If everything is right you should be able to change output directly from the master (just click on the output name switch it).

You should defenetly try it.

10. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Aggregate audio device might be the way to go (but apparently not that stable/good). Basically you combine all your output devices into one and select that.

Have device 1 as out1/2 and device 2 as out 3/4, and route in your DAW. I think that's how it works. But I've never tried it on a PC.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aggregate+audio+device+windows&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  11. Medrewb

Medrewb Platinum Record

Youtube "Future Music in the studio with Nicky Romero" the thing that he uses to control the volume (the white thing, its curve) that will do the trick..it can swith upto 4 monitor pairs with just a push of a button....ita also have sub woofer in/of..etc..its very handy

12. dondada

dondada Rock Star

hardware wise you have a few affordable options that are ok - good
    depending on i/o and connections you need (unbalanced - balanced)

samson c control about 100 bucks
    presonus monitor station about 300
    mackie big knob about 350
    there are cheaper and much more expensive things

http://www.sweetwater.com/c417--Monitor_Management/low2high

the nicky romero is a dangerous music controller
    thats 2k a pop

13. jaymo99

jaymo99 Platinum Record

what daw are you using? in Cubase in "Studio" its a doodle ... im sure other DAW have something similar , just connect your "fav speakers" to an output pair on your Focusrite and switch monitors from within your daw :) also can save resources by turing off onboard audio. you might need to buy an adapter for the mini jack to what ever output you have for outputs on the Focusrite

14. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

The professional way to do it would be to buy a monitor controller, like the others posted.

What you can do for now is use virtual audio cable and asio4all. Virtual audio cable available from our sister site. In the virtual audio cable control panel, you create 2 cables. In your DAW, use asio4all as driver and open the asio4all preferences. Activate the virtual audio cable outputs. Configure the outputs in your daw. If you created 2 virtual cables the outputs to use are 1/2 and 9/10.
    What you have to do depends on your daw. In ableton live you're in a world of pain now. In Cubase, you should have a second monitor track now.

15. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Good ol' analog solution: stereo 1/4" TRS cable from headphone out or line out to the input of your onboard device (usually 1/8" mini stereo trs) will probably work also. Focusrites I'm looking at don't seem to have line outs. But I think in windows you should be able to open the mixer on the little speaker icon. The avaiable digital outputs of your focusrite should be there when you click on device. Select which one you want your computer's playback device you want to monitor? ASIO4All
    is something that just comes in handy, it's free.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  16. santillana

santillana Kapellmeister

17. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

Thanks for your tips guys.

I'm going to give them a try.

Creating an aggregate device using ASIO4ALL seems to be the best bet, besides a hardware solution, of course.

However, I just changed to Windows 10 and ASIO4ALL isn't working properly so far. The Focusrite ASIO driver is working fine, though.

This one is priceless man! Works like a charm! Sometimes we get too digital minded and forget about such kids of obvious analogue tricks! :)

18. dondada

dondada Rock Star

donĀ“t forget with a controller you also get a standalone device witch makes it possible to listen to multiple sources
    like your phone, mp3 player, cd player and second pc + 2nd headphone mixes for singers and such

19. Hybridstudios

Hybridstudios Ultrasonic

i use a switch witch with my dangerous dbox to swap between my 4 pair of monitors. A,B,C are 3 of my monitors, D is my sub and alt spkr on the dbox is my 4th set of monitors.

thats an easy work around :)

20. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

I use a DANGEROUS MUSIC DBox for my 2 main sets of monitors, SPDIF from a FF800 and a RADIAL MC3, XLR-TRS from a LUCID 88192, (for my cheapo speakers and AVANTONES.)

For a hardware solution, I would definitely recommend the RADIAL MC3 :

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MC3

Stay away from anything made by SMpro.