Multiple MIDI Keyboards in PT

Discussion in 'Pro Tools' started by Rhodes, Dec 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

Keyboard 1: Roland A-90ex connected with a MIDI cable to the Terratec EWS88MT/D audio interface
    Keyboard 2: M-AUDIO keystation 61es connected to a USB port with working M-AUDIO drivers

After a long time, I fired up Pro Tools, for a jam session with my friends, but a strange thing happened...

- in midi studio, both controllers are enabled, and working independently with no problems, but if I want to play them both the same time, one gets disabled in PT (no MIDI input at all)

To illustrate the problem in simple terms with an example:

- Let say You have Kontakt Loaded with a Hammond Organ as an Instrument.
    - I start to play a line on a Roland A-90ex master keyboard
    - Than I want to play another line through the same instrument (kontakt+Hammond), but this time I want to use the Keystation 61 as controller. (so, in the instrument thrack, I should just change the MIDI input from Roland A90 to M-AUDIO keystation 61es, or select "all midi" )

It just doesn`t work... the keyboard that were loaded first in the session works, but as soon as I change the input to the other keyboard, there is no MIDI input in ProTools. (as if the other keyboard would be turned off)
    They both work when alone in ProTools, and both are enabled in midi studio, all filters are disabled, midi through is checked, all channels are enabled...

Of course, it doesn`t work neather in a case where I want to play let say a piano on my instrument channel, and my friend wants to play a Rhodes on his instrument channel at the same time! ...just one keyboard works

I am missing something very basic here ?!? help please

ps.
    Everything works as intended in other DAWs, (samplitude, Cubase, Reaper...) so a hardware problem is out of question seems.

3. type2002n

type2002n Kapellmeister

Hello.
    Safest way - a midi merger before the audio interface, and use a different channel for each kb.
    Or use the other daws...! You're recording midi data, so the daw's 'audio quality' is not important. You can transfer the midi files to pt later, If needed.
    Good luck solving the problem.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  4. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

Actually it is the other way around in this case... I don`t care about recording anything.
    It is a kind of "live" setup, using the DAW as a sound module for the 2 keyboards.

We have a new band member on the keyboards, that have to learn all the repertoire till the beginning of the next year season, and the repertoire is huge!
    So the simplest way for me to show him some fills, riffs and the feel they have to have, is for me to jump in in his track, when needed, during practice or jamming, and show him on the fly what I mean.

ProTools, because he use it in his home setup, and he feels familiar with it, so PT be it... it is the same for me.
    I usually use Cubase, but if using PT helps him free his mind during playing ?!? , well, to everyone his own ...musicians are strange plants :)

Of course, connecting the M-Audio through a Roland A90 solves the problem, but it is a bit inconvenient in our setup, so I`d like to have them separate, plugging in the M-AUDIO with a USB, just when needed.

But, anyway, this is a basic thing that should work in any most basic DAW, so I am sure I missed a setting anywhere in PT to make this work.