Multiband compression or Dynamic EQ ?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Delord, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Delord

Delord Member

Hi All,

What do you think? The both seemingly do the same job except the "ratio". I'm a bit confused...:dunno:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  3. Satai

Satai Rock Star

You can think of them as two different interfaces you could use, to access the same underlying process.

They don't sound exactly the same because the crossover filters will be different, different compromises taken by the devs etc. But from our point of view, they ARE actually doing the same thing, so no need to be confused.

The DynamicEQs are usually more fiddly to tweak and set up, so that's another thing that might influence your choice. If you don't forsee needing "7 bands", but just 2 or 3, then it might be more fiddly in the DynamicEQ to get what you wanted vs the multiband compressor.

Another thing is how the multiband compressors are usually more focused on giving you different compy refinement settings: knee, hysterisis, etc. etc. While the DynEQs tend to be pretty basic in that department, so you can choose based on that as well.

4. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Usually, multiband compressor divides your audio into bands.
    Dynamic eq has common eq curves such as bell peak, shelf, filter, notch and something like that. Sometimes it includes phase adjustments..
    Dynamic eq is for more narrow, surgical compression, than multiband. Dynamic eq is like an eq, but works only when threshold is achieved and it starts to compress or expand instead of constant common cutting or boosting from equalizer, but also can be used as only equalizer without compression. So, it is an eq combined with dynamics. Equalizer with(out) compression section or expansion section. Resonance overshoots can be fixed by dynamic eq. One of the example of this tool is deesser.
    Multiband compressor/expander is like usual compressor/expander, but not wide range oriented, but selected, such as lows, mids, highs and so on. Example of work: working with punch, not touching transients and mids dynamics.

Edited: added more info

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  5. Delord

Delord Member

Thx mild pump milk! In my researc i found this article because I use fabfliter "Pro-MB is already a dynamic EQ. I'd actually like to not see a dynamic feature in Pro-Q, it's redundant, already there in Pro-MB in dynamic phase processing mode. If anything just add tighter Q values to Pro-MB." I will try as well "Meldaproduction mAutoDynamicEq" :wink: