Multi Synthesis Setup

Discussion in 'Synthesizers' started by Adam Ford, Jan 31, 2021.

?

3 synth at max, space is tight!

Poll closed Feb 7, 2021.
  1. Behringer Deepmind 12 D (analog duties)

71.4%
  2. Korg Minilogue XD desktop (analog duties / digital OS / FM / Wavetables)

42.9%
  3. Korg Opsix (FM / VA)

14.3%
  4. Korg Modwave saving (Wavetables / VA / FM)

14.3%
  5. ASM Hydrasynth Desktop (Wavetables / FM / VA)

57.1%
  6. Behringer Poly D (analog duties / FM)

28.6%
  7. Behringer MonoPoly (analog duties / FM)

28.6%
  8. Modal Argon 8 (Wavetables / FM / VA)

14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Adam Ford

Adam Ford Producer

Hi guys, hope you're all doing well.

I currently have a Rev2 which is amazing but I'm selling it to have a broad palette of synth engines.

Budget is currently 1500 euros, (if I include the Rev2 sale).

I'm evaluating the current synths:

any opinion and tip is highly appreciated.

3. Dildo Baggins

Dildo Baggins Kapellmeister

I went for the xd, Deepmind12D, and Hydrasynth module as my polysynths, no complaints about any of them as they do what i expected them to do! The Deepmind takes care of the old Chicago house sound, Mr Fingers pads, keys and basses all day long! The xd is great, the option to add oscillators and FX gives this synth so much more than first meets the eye, not something that the reviewers really delved into, but it's a great option that makes the synth feel unique. I love the xd, sure, it's got it's limitations but it's straightforward and fun, I like fun.

As for the Hydrasynth....Wow. The interface on this beast is a joy to use, it's logical and intuitive. The modulation options on this synth are top notch, so easy to find yourself creating long evolving soundscapes that seem to go on forever (if that's your thing), even for someone like myself who's not that experienced when it comes to sound design, it just invites you in, genius really. It's still relatively new and I know I've barely scratched the surface of what it can do, I've still not hooked it up to the Neutron over Cv yet for example, that'll be cool no doubt.

I've got these three synths (plus the Neutron and TD-3) being sequenced from the MPC Live for what I consider to be a decent OTB set up that covers a lot of ground for the price of one premium synth, so yeah, no complaints.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Adam Ford

Adam Ford Producer

Such a great combo!
    I'd have loved to pull the trigger with the Deepmind 12D but I feel that I could get something better from other synths when it comes to bass, it's there but not as focused as other ones (the Starsky Scarr match against OB6 has an example of it but of course we are talking of a 2k synth)...
    Other than that it's an incredible synth, wish it had full waveforms sigh.

I owned the XD and didn't like the handicapped filter envelope but for anything else it was a banger, I even adapted to the 4 voice polyphony, I see myself getting it back for the user oscs, fx's and that brassy quality reminiscent of Oberheims...

The Hydrasynth is the mistery for me.
    Super top notch for wavetables, wavescanning, ambient and modulations, but the VA engine isn't as believable as a true analog, that's why I'd pair it with something like the XD, wish the Modwave was out already to battle them out.

I'd have to remove Poly D and MonoPoly, nice synths but nothing that makes me scream wow I need this compared to the others, analog goodness but no patch recalls, Poly D is like a crumbled Matriarch without the punch of his small brother Model D and MonoPoly is something I see useful just for paraphonic arps and strings but I don't have a lot of space.

Still thinking about the Opsix, don't know how much can I squeeze an entire FM engine without getting tired and Argon is out of choice if I take an Hydrasynth or Modwave.

5. Dildo Baggins

Dildo Baggins Kapellmeister

Yeah, there's some great choices out there at the moment, no doubt about it. The thing with the Deepmind and the Minilogue is that i knew what they offered, so I can't be disappointed in their limitations. I did have my eye on the Argon8 for a while, really thought that would be the third poly i went for but had my head turned by the Hydrasynth at the pulling the trigger moment! Thankfully Modal released the Cobalt after I got the Hydrasynth as that would have been a tough call between that and the Argon8. Have you looked into the Cobalt?

I'm of the opinion that if you want analogue, get analogue, look at what you can afford, the pros and cons and dive in. In the price range that I usually buy synths in there's always going to be some trade offs, so no point in dwelling on them too much, Focus on what they can do is my outlook.

The only other thing on my radar ATM is the SE-02 - Gets pretty close to "that" sound and has the ability to save patches unlike the Behringer clone, which is something quite important with my set up too. I can handle the Neutron not being able to save patches, but that's it. Anyway, i'm veering off into monosynth territory, which is not much help!

6. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

IF you're going to go with a digital synth...

I can only contribute that I have a Hydrasynth and I'm very, very happy with it. I looked into the Modal Argon8 when I was shopping and found it lacking in comparison, IMHO. The Hydra offers a lot more of pretty much everything, so unless there's something you especially like about the sound of the modal, I personally wouldn't recommend passing up Hydrasynth for it. I can also offer that as I have a couple analog synths, I have unwillingly become a bit of a snob about digital filters, specifically how it sounds with resonance at high frequencies, and the Hydrasynth is pretty smooth all the way up the spectrum.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. Adam Ford

Adam Ford Producer

That's true, I ditched the SE-02 because on Moogs I don't care about patch saving, otherwise I'd stick with Mini V and Legend.
    I watched every single Cobalt8 video and I'd love to have one, only downfall is that it doesn't sound enough analog to me, the drift control it's like a drunk detune and even if I liked it on some patches it's not what I'm looking for, thought of an used Virus as well but the thing could die on me at every moment without any assistance and the tech is very 90s.

I'm between Hydrasynth and Modwave at the moment, thinking of Minilogue XD and Ub-Xa (if a desktop version see the light).

8. Adam Ford

Adam Ford Producer

You got a point on this, Argon8 is super organic and cool (God bless Jexus skills) but at high resonance the filter is super contained, it doesn't scream, same on Cobalt8, I just wish ASM don't forget about something other than warm mode to push Hydra into closer analog territory, I'm thinking of getting one anyway sooner or later.

9. clone

clone Audiosexual

Hi Adam. I have the ASM Hydra desktop version. I could not test either of them in person, so it was sort of a coin flip. I went with the desktop version because of my Virus. I have a 61key TI2 which takes up a seriously large amount of desk space, and moving stuff and configuring things around *it* is always a pain in the dick. Every time I think I have my synths configured how I want them perfectly, it's always "aside from the f*ckin Virus.". But no matter what I do it ends up back in front of me as my main controller, with audio/midi over USB. If I am recording in, I will send it's audio via s/pdif or Analog out to the mixer. Everything else goes through A&H GL2400 console. I often wish I had gotten a smaller one, but then I play it.

The ASM Hydra desktop pads poly-aftertouch is really playable. The external construction of it is like a tank. I'd really like the KB model now. But even though you expect it to be somewhat "digital and clinically abrasive" or something, it will still surprise you how much it really is. It's pretty unique sounding, to say it that way. I really doubt I could listen to an entire song made with nothing but it.

There is lots of VA in your list. Since Access Music have said they will not make a Catalina compatible version of the Virus Control plugin, there are lower resale prices to be found. From the other synths you do have picked, I think you should consider an Access Virus Ti or Ti2.
    Between it and the Hydra, in a "only get to keep one" situation; I would not even think for a minute.