Multi Midi note Mapping (Vision or Reality)

Discussion in 'DAW' started by Nima, May 15, 2014.

1. Nima

Nima Noisemaker

Many of us use Chord samples. But You can not use these samples to play in real-time. The idea is to map multiple chord notes to one sample.

Example: Note A - C - E on Midi keyboard mapped to a Am chord loop Sample Pattern and the same way for other Chord Sample Patterns.

Now You can play all chord Patterns in real time in Your Daw Like an Auto Accompaniment.
    This is very useful for song writing or even for Live performance. In other words this way we make a chord Recognition functionality with real played sample loop Patterns used.
    In live for Example You can load any chord Loop Pattern (Guitar, Piano or...) to a scene and map the play Button to a midi note but not to multiple notes.

The problem: only one midi note can be mapped.

My Question: Do anyone know any plugin to map more than one midi note (note Combination) to a Button in a DAW? Just like Computer Combi Shortcuts (Ctrl+ALt+C)

This could done maybe with Max for Live.

Thanks in Advance for any Info.

3. GangamStyle

GangamStyle Ultrasonic

So you want to map all three notes to one chord sample , but only play it when all 3 notes of that chord are pressed?
    Just making sure i understand what you want.

4. oidua

oidua Member

I thoght he wanted to play three note chords by just pressing one key..?
    Or a guitar chord or loop.
    :dunno:

5. copylefter

copylefter Producer

If it can be done the way is surely M4L.
    You can have a look at this, I didn't tried but it may work: MIDI Note Mapper M4L

This seems cool too but it seems to work only with MIDI: Clip Sequencer

:thumbsup:

6. Nima

Nima Noisemaker

exact. So every sample has been mapped to its chord notes on midi keyboard.

thanks I will check it and give the resault.

no. I want one sample be played by playing 3 or 4 mapped Keyboard Notes.

in other words Play a chord on Midi keyboard plays the mapped Audio sample loop pattern for this chord.

7. Monsanto

Monsanto Newbie

Sorry if I misunderstand but this sounds really convoluted...

From experience the simplest way can often offer the best result.

Why not just get different samples. Instead of a chord just use a single note. Put it in a sampler, increase available voices and just play your chords?

I don't understand why you would want to do it the way you intend. Perhaps as a musical theory reference? but still if you are going to play the notes you obviously understand the theory to begin with..

8. GangamStyle

GangamStyle Ultrasonic

The amount of work to do this would be proportional to the amount of chords you want to be able to have available at once.

Would be a bunch of "if keypressed = a+b+c then play sample cell 1 *chord number 1*" kinda code.

Maybe do-able in kontakt (im not a kontakt script dude), so correct me if i am wrong.
    A midi transformer plugin like the one mentioned above should work for sure, if you can code in "if/then" type statements.

Really interesting puzzle this one, i have no immediate answer, seems like it should be able to be done with some brainpower, but no full answer jumps to mind immediately.
    Good post man!
    Got me thinking :wink:

9. angie

angie Producer

And what should happen when you play only one or two notes of the chord?

10. GangamStyle

GangamStyle Ultrasonic

I can see reasons where this might be useful Monsanto, say you have a traditional keyboard player who knows theory but not much or nothing about synths/samples.
    Or you want to be able to map out a big soundset for one, without changing how he plays, u can assign pre-rendered chords or even mixed loops in the right chord/key for him/her to play with no new mapping to learn.

I'm sure there are plenty more reasons, but agree it's definitely the harder way to go about it :mates:

Good point angie, use a second keyboard for the non chord stuff? :dunno:

11. Nima

Nima Noisemaker

I explain: I want to use Chord Patterns Played Acoustic. For example I want to Map 12 Minor and 12 Major 2bars Chord Patterns Played for example with Acoustic Guitar. To play guitar chords there are enough VSt instruments like Amplesound or Eilya but what I want is to use real Played Chord Patterns and not Just Chords

Example: You have 24 Guitar Audio Loop Patterns.(12 Minor and 12 Major)

If You map all of these samples to their Chord notes ( Example: Map Guitar loop pattern Am to A-C and E notes on Midi Keyboard) Now You can play Guitar Chord Patterns in any scale in Major and minor with left hand and play melody with any other sound with right hand in realtime. Like You have a Guitar player Beside You. The fact is to use Real played Chord patterns and not just a VST instrument.

Now You are infected like me too *yes*
    Maybe with Kontakt scripting this will work too but I think this can be done with a simple plugin to easily drag and drop 12 minor, 12 major and maybe more complex chords patterns and the map the chord Notes to samples.

12. Nima

Nima Noisemaker

I checked the devices You mentioned. They don't do the job.

13. Monsanto

Monsanto Newbie

:) starting to understand your angle however I cant find a solution.

Perhaps the limitation lies with the midi protocol/language? I have not had much exposure to it and i' sure it carries limitations of its own but perhaps OSC would allow more flexibility in mapping?

14. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

This is very possible in kontakt with sample group management, Mapping & scripting
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILEEslXSZ48 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZnt1_d7rok

When your ready to get deeper(not that deep)lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmALf5vZdrA