MSI Laptop as a DAW?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by dl65875, Jun 7, 2024.

Tags:
  1. dl65875

dl65875 Kapellmeister

My DAW Laptop is on its last legs and needs replacing.
    This windows laptop was a purpose built 3XS audio workstation but I was never really 100% happy with it.

Sometimes just opening a PT Session with 30 or 40 audio tracks but NO processing would cause a Out Of Memory message from Pro Tools as soon as you moved even a volume slider.

The company I have been buying from for years, Scan Computers (I'm in the UK), seems to have become really crappy, or at least the staff has and its a pain in the backside when things go wrong.

So I have been researching high end gaming laptops on the basis that these machines are normally built with better components than say your average home user or office laptop.

I am swinging towards MSI and their MSI RAIDER GE68 HX 14VHG-291UK GAM
    https://uk.msi.com/Laptop/Raider-GE68-HX-14VX/
    Specification and spec wise this is nice.

Intel® Core™ i9 processor 14900HX 24 cores (8 P-cores + 16 E-cores), Max Turbo Frequency 5.8 GHz
    NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4070 Laptop GPU
    Up to 2175MHz Boost Clock 140W Maximum Graphics Power with Dynamic Boost (for DAW work most of this will have to be disabled I believe).
    8GB GDDR6 (A bit too small for potential AI work?)
    2 Slots, Max 96GB (Not many I have seen can handle 96GB)

There is an interesting and comprehensive post over on gearspace that talks about the issue of Latency on a gaming machine and how to cure it. (Mods, forgive the link if is not allowed)
    https://gearspace.com/board/music-c...s-daw-use-my-5-month-experience-thus-far.html

I know that MSI has more powerful models such as it Titan Series but they are well over priced.

Oh, and before anyone comments, yes a PC is better than a laptop and I have several in different rooms but I also have need of a portable solution

Does anyone here have any real world experience of this machine or using a branded laptop as a DAW?
    Yeah yeah, I know we all have opinions but I'd like to hear from anyone who has actually done it.

Many thanks