MSDN developer's license

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lonewolf000, Jul 30, 2013.

1. lonewolf000

lonewolf000 Newbie

I know this is an AUDIO COMMUNITY. But maybe some of guys here are also into application development or computer programming.

can somebody shed light on me about the MSDN developer's license in Visual studio 2012. what if i was unable to acquire one,

can i still use the IDE? I haven't installed it yet. coz i'm kinda in disk space. Those who already did, please i need some
    answer. Thanks. :mates:

3. energy

energy Newbie

4. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

I have the visual studio 2012 free version (desktop) installed, so no need for developers licence (unless I go looking!) also free version is much smaller in size than the full and is probably more than enough to get you going with software development. There are different versions of the freebie, depending on what you want to do.

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/downloads (look for express versions)

you will still need a licence key to register the software after 1 month, but it's free, just set up an account and request a key. :wink:

5. exodus

exodus Newbie

Or, you could use emacs, real programmers use emacs :rofl:

http://xkcd.com/378/

Please note that this is sarcasm, but I admit to using emacs sometimes :bleh:

6. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Just download a cracked version and you don't have to worry about it. I'm still on 2010 for the moment because of XP and I don't want to deal with the upgrade until I get a new computer, plus 2013 is around the corner.

SirSillySausage I didn't know you were into programming, yet another thing we have in common. :mates:

7. savadious

savadious Ultrasonic

Are you a student?
    Is your child a student?

Get that Microsoft FULL package 100% FREE for students... bascically all you need is an email address ending with .EDU and you are AUTO-APPROVED to download the full package!

That and tons of more MSDN software.

I was also a commercial MSDN subscriber back in my younger years

website

DREAMSPARK

Sign up and download 3 minutes later ! Legit official copies with full support and a community online for asking questions and getting code snippets !

8. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

Forgot about MSDN student freebies. :wink:

I think NightmaresAndDreamscapes is struggling for disk space (aren't we all?), that's why I suggested the free version, much smaller, yet fully functionally and unless you are a professional developer the free version is more than capable.

9. lonewolf000

lonewolf000 Newbie

Look what i just found out. The audio gurus sirsillysausage and catalyst are also into programming. :mates:

@SirSillySausage, thank you. I'll just use VS2012 free then.
    @savadious, no longer a student. :)

i also posted the same question in the MSDN forum and they said: if i have a licensed visual studio 2012, that one never expires. but the Developer's license which is needed in able for you to deploy your microsoft windows 8 app store related projects, you need a developer's license.

crap. tsk. not so convenient.
    i hope microsoft keeps them free though. I read it somewhere that they might charge payment in the future.

Cheers!