MS Update Terror this Week (or on Occurrence).

Discussion in 'PC' started by Jasmine, Jun 16, 2016.

?

Useful?

1. Don't bore me again.

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. I have a Mac but it's entertaining.

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Thank you very much. I love you and all others.

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  4. Useful, but I don't love you and the others.

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. I'm on XP or Linux and know why. Anyway, it's entertaining.

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. I have Windows Update turned off. Dont care!

11 vote(s)
    45.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jasmine

Jasmine Producer

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. jeffglobal

jeffglobal Producer

Ty, but this throw away 80 y/o computer has already been raped by that 2 days ago I think.

Well fk me! This reminded me to check "trustedinstaller.exe" and now I can't even stop the service like yesterday! yay! Hmmm, but I could stop the process now...wtf. I don't care, this laptop doesn't even have a integrated camera.

So if somebody, comes into your house, slaps your kids around or just changes the clothes they were wearing, that's bad, but MicroSoftON coming into your house and changing your computer without consent or notice, is okie. I wish I lived in the book 1984, it would be less oppressive.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

I have Windows XP, but it's entertaining. :bleh:

5. Jasmine

Jasmine Producer

Maybe someone can make this thread sticky...probably this can't be the end of story.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  6. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Been on Windows since 3.1, gotta say...I'm luvin' my Win 10.. far and away the best OS yet for me.

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  7. Jasmine

Jasmine Producer

off topic.

8. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Well thanks for the heads up.
    Here are a few that I've gathered here or there.
    KB2506928
    KB2545698 (IE9)
    KB2592687
    KB2660075
    KB2726535
    KB2876229 SKYPE, If you want Skype then install it.
    KB2952664 Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7
    KB2970228
    KB2977759 W10 Diagnostics Compatibility telemetry
    KB2990214 Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 7 to a later version of Windows
    KB2923545 RDP
    KB2994023
    KB3021917 Update to Windows 7 SP1 for performance improvements
    KB3022345 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
    KB3035583 Update installs get windows 10 app in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1
    KB3044374 W8,8.1 Nagware for W10
    KB3050265 Windows Update service updated to accept upgrade to W10
    KB3065987
    KB3068707 Customer experience telemetry points
    KB3068708 (replaces KB3022345) Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
    KB3075249 Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7
    KB3080149 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
    KB3112336, Windows Update Client for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2: December 2015, Optional
    KB3112343, Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: December 2015, Optional

And an excellent tool (free) to use is wsus offline update which will allow you to get all the security updates (like 150 of them since W7 SP1) without the annoyance of using windows update service. It does its thing and gets all the updates (even c++ and framework if you wish, office as well (and win10, 8 also in addition of win7) and then free to you to install them either on the computer you dled them from or on another one offline. It's really cool, much faster than win update, who works one time out of 10 in average. With that and Never10, you're set to go. Be very carefull with the optionnal updates though, check online the KB list of problematic updates here or elsewhere.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  9. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

i have windows update turned off. its that way for ages.
    critical Kb i download manual, the media is full of it always, so for what do i need windows update anyway, the machine was working always more slower when i used it, it gave me no plus factor always. so why?
    i think my windows 8.1 is on the update from 2014 october and it just runs fine, no malware, nothing.

10. Jasmine

Jasmine Producer

No, because there are sometimes critical security updates you will need, unless you freeze and close the complete system.

11. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

I just like saying it... :hillbilly:

12. ArticStorm

so really? all fine here without updates.
    MS tends to supply shit with their updates, which makes notebook unusable, i dont have time to deal with a 100% used cpu, just because MS added a new system diagnostic tool, which analyses, how my components works together. yes i have seen this and the fan was constant running for a few hours.
    restarted the same action again ... so i decided no more useless windows updates.

13. Jasmine

Jasmine Producer

As long as your are offline and install no new stuff, it's no problem. If your are online with that machine, it's no serious solution to simply turn off updates. You could do a little research how many MS specific sec. issues appeared in the last 12 month- you may not noticed.:winker:

From this point of view, the last voting answer- which I didn't add myself is somehow misleading.

14. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

I have yet to get single malware/virus that resulted from turned off windows updates.
    Back in XP days, I turned on updates once a year and DLed all of them at once. Never had an issue that could be traced to not updating my systems "properly".
    There were just 2 cases in the last 12 years in which specific update fixed issues I was facing.
    On the other hand, I saw updates break more things than they promised to fix.
    Plus it's a nuisance to wait several hours after supposedly turning off the system for the updates to install, especially late into the night.

15. ArticStorm

i let run malware bytes over a few times a month, i keep java off, flash off, have a few good addons in my Pale moon installed.
    always know the source of your files, its a good advice, so you are save without anti virus and without the major bogus of windows updates, which slow down the system.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. Jasmine

Jasmine Producer

In the update pane you always can choose which update you want.

You always should turn off AUTOMATIC updates and do it manually.

So there is no need for taking any slowing down ones- even in the night.

Just say 'Hide' in the update manager.

Malware bytes doesn't fix your Office security leaks from 2010-2016.

There is only one reason for permanently not updated systems...which you can read in the internet (Botnets etc.).:yes:

17. ddoctor

ddoctor Kapellmeister

I completely agree with everything articstorm is saying; I couldn't have said it better! I too use malwarebytes for viruses instead of allowing antivirus software slowing down my system constantly; updates? studio one needed platform update and sp1 on win 7, that is the only case of a 'need to update' I can remember; but I don't use studio one 3 anymore; I realized that cubase 8 elements is all I need and it is free (thanks to steinberg not becoming too capitalystic yet!). The only problem with installing the dl-ed and saved updates is that you have to turn on automatic updates to do it (and I even disable the service!)...

18. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

I don't use anti virus or malwarebytes, only a firewall and I browse with virtualbox through ubuntu. I only dl stuff from trusted sites. I don't think i've ever caught a virus.
    I've never turned on the windows update service...never (well since I use wsus offline). I do all my security update with the tool I indicated above which doesn't require to turn on the update service of windows at all. It's the point of this tool. And I'm fully up to date (again only for the security updates, which tbh is a bit weird not to use, for once MS does its job by fixing the security problems), it just plug security holes that are found and might be used by hackers, I never had any sort of problem with it. The recommanded/optional updates on the other hand, I don't use. I do the same in Ubuntu, I always do security updates.

19. Aliens

Aliens Guest

I always turn auto updates off, right from back since win98 days.
    I'm on 7, and like others here, never had an issue through not updating.

Some people panic about every little thing. Some just get on with getting on. :yes:

20. Ankit

Ankit Guest

If you are on windows 7, turning off updates is a best idea. If you wont, then you're gonna end up with Win7+ Win10 Telemetry.

21. lerkjurk

lerkjurk Platinum Record