Mr Psanter's 2nd Track: This is Feedback Time!

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by mrpsanter, Nov 21, 2015.

1. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Hello,

I would be more than happy to hear your feedback on this one:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  3. Demon

Demon Producer

Man, I love it! It took me straight to the late 70s

The only constructive feedbak I can give you is to make some bits a bit more balanced: At times the lead guitar and the bass are so prominent that you can't hear anything else clearly, then at time the guitar is soloing with the drums and a synth in the back, maybe that synth could be a bit louder, etc.

But hey, regardless of that, mixes in the 70s were like that. It is really nice, man! It gave me a memory of me as a kid and the music my mother would play around the house.

Well done.

4. Ash

Ash Rock Star

Where is the Mahavishnu Orchestra ?! :wink:

5. smoothripple

smoothripple Kapellmeister

That opening guitar made my eyes open wider involuntarily. I really like your playing.

I rarely comment on other people's music. Too much like answering your wife when she says 'does this make me look fat?' Too easy to be misunderstood. This track really snagged my attention though .

I have to disagree gently with Demon. The balance seemed to me to be well considered, as though that was precisely how you intended. Like he said 'mixes in the 70s were like that'.

6. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

@Demon
    Thanks mate, Glad that it reminds you your childhood!

@Ash
    Thanks for your feedback!

@smoothripple
    Thanks for your feedback. Actually since the guitar part is a VSTi and not a real guitar, I'm not sure we can say that it's really my playing...

7. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

Top job, mrpsanter! By the third bar my head was nodding and my toes were a-tapping.

Mixes were like this in the 70's? Not really, guys. Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon was released in 1973. Both the mix and the balance of instruments on DSOTM were a real kick in the pants for professional 70's sound engineering geezers like me. Previously, one might often find bass to one side of the stereo image, rhythm on the opposite side and lead instruments in the centre. Drums sounded like the set was 20 feet wide (OMG what were we thinking?). DSOTM demonstrated that it's not always a good idea to pan the instruments so that their position in the stereo image matched where the band members stood on stage.

8. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Since you keep spamming me and I keep listening, here it goes.. :thumbsup:

Despite the instruments sounding artificial, I think you could've made the playing more human.

The music got my attention at the start but quickly I got the feeling of randomness, bum notes and "out of tuneness". I feel that this free jazz vibe doesn't work well if you're just trying out stuff on the piano roll. The human element is a big part of the essence of that genre.

9. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

@DarthFader:
    Thanks for your feedback. I agree, it's not possible to compare Dark Side of the Moon's mix with let's say The Beatles' Revolver. Night and day...

@kouros:
    Thanks for giving me your opinion. How could I make the playing more human (and for which instrument btw)? Also, what do you mean by 'bum notes'? Once again, thanks for taking the time to listen to my stuff, one day I hope it will be less painful to your ears. :wink:

10. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Well.. that's not easy to answer but when you start noticing that sort of stuff, you'll know how to make it better. From what I hear, I would assume that you don't play any real instruments to an above average level , do you? That could help you a lot.

Bum notes... again, hard to explain. The thing is, there aren't wrong notes BUT, if you don't play them at the "correct" spots, they will sound bad and random. Specially if you don't follow it up "appropriately" in order to state intention.

Probably isn't your fault but the instruments you've used aren't well tuned and that generates harshness to the ear.

...to make it clear.. I am not saying that your music sucks, I am only trying to be specific about stuff that you should be aware, even if you decide that you don't agree with me. :wink:

11. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Kinda like Pencil tool Santana meets High school sit in drummer

I dunno man, all sounds pretty random, like a band jamming and bumbling thru a set in a garage without much purpose.. Still, always trying to improve via critique is a good thing..

I can certainly tell this wasn't real playing, sounds very penciled into a piano roll.

Finally... less cowbell.

lol

Perhaps this was helpful, perhaps not.. sorry if not all feedback is of a positive nature.. sometimes the harshest is the best.

On a positive note, i did listen till the end.

12. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

@kouros,
    Even if you were saying that my music sucks, I wouldn't have a problem with you expressing this opinion, after all I asked for it.
    And you were correct assuming that I don't play any real instruments beside a bit of my trusty Samson Graphite sometimes.
    That being said, I'm not sure to follow you when you wrote that the instruments I used are not well tuned because I only use VSTi's and no real instruments, unless I miss something?

@No Reason,
    Thanks for your feedback, the fact that you were being able to listen till the end is some (kind of) improvement I guess. Oh and by the way, you were right with the pencil stuff, there was no part played with a keyboard on this track.

13. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Well.. think about it and tell me what you could be missing.