Moving to a larger HDD. Drive Letters Question

Discussion in 'PC' started by thepopenale, Oct 13, 2011.

1. thepopenale

thepopenale Noisemaker

Got a bigger external harddrive as my old one is full. Its all samples and audio.

If I copy eeeverything from the old HD to the new one (identical directory names) and plug it in for FL Studio, will old projects load up the sample? Or will I have to wait for the little circle in the bottom left of the screen to keep looking and looking.

I assume there should be no problem, but does anyone know first hand? Will samples load or will I have to manually "find" them for FL?

Cheers :wink:

3. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

Not sure about FL but in most cases it should work as long the file\folder paths are the same.In the future I recommend you clone the drive instead.

4. Willum

Willum Rock Star

Just make sure it has the same drive letter as the old drive before opening FL and all will be well.

5. thepopenale

thepopenale Noisemaker

Thanks for your input.

Ive been very careful to keep the folders and paths the same.

There are a few gigs worth of stuff that were on ANOTHER drive, if I move those, the directory will be different for the first path but all the internal folders will be the same.

Ill likely have to show FL where these files are each time?

6. FutureFame

FutureFame Newbie

Like Willium said, make sure you plug your new external hard drive into the same USB port as you had your old one. If FL was reading files from the D drive, plug your new one into the same. Since you have the same folder and file directories, you will not have to show FL where these files are.

If you still have the old hard drives, I would create folders for each individual project and export the data files (samples) to the folder so that FL will search for the files in the project folder). Then I would transfer all the samples to a single, larger hard drive.
    If you already transferred, you can press ESC as FL is searching for the files, cuz it can take more than a few minutes to search through gigs of samples. Then you can drag and drop the samples in manually. The channels will still maintain the pitch, volume and midi information

7. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

also i don't know about F.L but if i did that with using KONTAT it would try to load and then it would say cant locate samples then i would have have KONTAKT look for it if i did not know were the SAMPLES were located but if you know were the samples are then just direct it

8. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

i think u should rename the new hard drive with the same letter of the old one and rename this one with another letter

9. Bump

Bump Kapellmeister

This

10. thepopenale

thepopenale Noisemaker

How do I clone the drive? Ive never even made a system backup before. I need to start doing this sheeet...

11. Bump

Bump Kapellmeister

get a disk imaging software like Acronis or Norton Ghost

12. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

I'd recommend O&O DiskImage... recently moved to it from Acronis.