Moving projects to a new computer?

Discussion in 'Software' started by lkjts, Jul 28, 2023.

1. lkjts

lkjts Noisemaker

Hi all, hope this is the right forum for the topic.

I recently upgraded my setup. I had all of my project files and audio recordings stored on a SSD drive that I just connected to the new computer. The new computer naturally has newer software and plugin versions. For example I got Guitar Rig7 (instead of Guitar Rig 5 I had on the old setup), Wawes 11 instead of 9, etc.

Now when I opened the old projects on my new computer, I expected it will all be just updated with the new plugins. But this is not the case. I'm getting a "some plugins are disabled" warning and a list of all the old versions of plugins that are missing.

Is there a way to fix this, or will I have to go and replace each plugin instance manually in each project? ...but that would probably not work because I also need the exact settings of those plugins the way I left them on the old system for each individual track.

The thought of installing old versions alongside new ones crossed my mind too. (this is the option I'd really like to avoid, also I am not sure all of the old ones are even compatible with the new OS).

Am I doing something wrong or is this the way it is supposed to function? Can someone help to fix this?

I'm running Ableton Live on macOS 10.15 if it matters.