Moving Kontakt to another computer

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Ike, May 7, 2021.

1. Ike

Ike Ultrasonic

I have read a few threads here and a few online about moving Kontakt and its libraries to another computer but I have found no absolute way to do it. I am setting up a slave external computer to run my Kontakt libraries through VE Pro. All my Kontakt libraries are on external ssds. My Kontakt sampler is on my C drive on my main computer. I can load Kontakt on the new slave computer but how can I avoid having to add every single library again and batch resave them? I saw a video on youtube where the guy where he exports the Native Instrument files from the regedit local machine. Not sure if what I want to do is even possible but any help is appreciated. Thanks !!!!!

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I think the registry may be the key to that.
    After installing a new version my library was empty and i was prompted to fix it. One of the choices was "from registry", and i chose that and after a few minutes of building, it seems all my libraries are there.

It was NOT a clean install, so other things might need to be done, but i believe the registry part may be necessary to avoid manually rebuilding.

I think the batch-resaving should not have to be redone, so long as RELATIVE paths were used.
    The resave is embedded in the library files.

Now you have me curious... Because i use portable I can't test it...
    So i will install just win10 & Kontakt on a drive and test it, but it may be a couple of days getting to it

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  4. If you want to run Kontakt via VE Pro you'll need to install the app and all libraries on your second computer. If libraries are on external SSD's then you'll need to create Symlinks. I tried it a few months ago with VE Pro and decided it wasn't worth the trouble. It was tying my brain I knots. I also have my Kontakt libraries on an ext SSD and that alone allows me to run lots of Kontakt instances simultaneously.

• List
  5. Ike

Ike Ultrasonic

I’ve got the VE pro part down on my slave computer it’s just transferring all my kontakt libraries without having to reinstall everyone of them again. I decided on VE pro because I really did not want to setup a whole new computer. The last time I did that it was an absolute nightmare. This way I can free up my main computer and run my libraries and other vsts on the slave computer which is 128 go 12 core dual processor machine. Thanks for your advice

• List
  6. Ike

Ike Ultrasonic

Hey double take I appreciate your help. There’s a YouTube video of a guy doing it. It’s called “Backup and restore all kontakt libraries to a new computer” I’m thinking of trying that. Let me know what you also find out. Thanks a lot

7. Citrik Acid

Citrik Acid Platinum Record