Moving from Win8 to Win10

Discussion in 'PC' started by Ellin, Jul 1, 2024 at 2:24 PM.

1. Ellin

Ellin Kapellmeister

Hi all!
    I decided to upgrade my PC from Win 8 to Win 10.
    Does the Windows registry retain information when switching between operating systems?
    I am mostly interested about Kontakt and Library Tab information... I have a few hundred libraries and I am terrified of having to reinstall them all from scratch...
    Thank you for any suggestions!

3. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

The Windows setup lets you pick between clean slate and keeping your old files and settings. Of course, there's no 100% guarantee. Consider making a backup. Ideally of your drive. If that's not an option, backup the Kontakt registry keys with 'regedit' or something that's more sophisticated.

4. Ellin

Ellin Kapellmeister

I regularly backup my registry keys... but can I import Win8 keys into the Win10 registry?

5. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Personally? I kept my Win7 setup as there are so many plugins that will not work with win 10/11 and just took an old computer box and built it with newer components for win 10.
    I will not part with the win 7 machine as it's taken far too long to get it setup just the way I want it.

My advice? If there is any way you can keep both, I'd say do that!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Ellin

Ellin Kapellmeister

I'm really very undecided about abandoning WIN8... like you I've reached an optimal configuration and everything works perfectly...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. vuldegger

vuldegger Producer

win10 is very mature now but, if everything is working 100% for you and you love the system, why change it? security concerns?

8. Ellin

Ellin Kapellmeister

The only reason is that some plugins, and the latest version of Kontakt, only work from Win10 onwards... but, of course, the ton of other Vst, Vsti, libraries, etc., that are available for Win8 are enough to make new music for at least another 30 years...

9. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

It is supposed to if you attempt the "upgrade". However I never recommend doing upgrades of ms operating systems as they can be problematic and end up leaving you with no other option except to flatten and rebuild. If you're game to upgrading, then most certainly do a complete backup image of YOUR ENTIRE SYSTEM before attempting the upgrade. That way you have a safety base to go back to in case the upgrade bombs somehow. Use acronis or easeus for making those disc images to be used to get your entire WIN8 system back online within the hour in case of a hiccup.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2024 at 10:23 PM
  10. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I do get the wish to keep up to date with everything as it becomes available I really do, and over time both yours and my operating systems we use will be completely outdated, BUT if we use the hardware of the 70's and 80's as an example, how many people clamber and crave those old sounds now? Besides all that work that went in to making preset banks for these VST, all gone!