Moving from Win 10 LTSB to LTSC

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pereira, Apr 29, 2019.

1. evolasme

evolasme Producer

there are 3 choices

keep files ,settings and apps ( greyed out)

Keep files, setting and apps will be deleted

Nothing

is this what Maz was talking about ?
    ps im on 1903 pro at the moment

2. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

Yes, I'm sure.

What result? Just can see, you've selected the RTM (which is not yet available for public or techbench users
    but for mdsn subscribers like developers, PC manufacturers, etc.)

That's why I said "take a look at the MDL forums" and "I can upload them as well" (I did already to Mega)

If you try to "upgrade" between different variations of the OS, there never will be another way!
    So you're on 1903 Pro but want to use the ltsc or enterprise, you'll lose your apps.
    But when you're running 1809 Pro and want to upgrade to 1903 Pro, then it's possible easily.

It's like with your PC. You can upgrade parts on the mainboard easily but you can't do that with the mainboard itself.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Pereira

Pereira Producer

great help and support as usual, thanks a million r4e :like:

4. Maizelman

Maizelman Rock Star

The trick is changing the version ID in the registry, so that Windows thinks that it already is an Enterprise edition. Then the first option will be available again

Did this once when I upgraded to Enterprise the first time :wink:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

Tested the new 1903 enterprise and trimmed down almost all apps and unneccessary stuff.
    Now the system itself just takes 8,23GB of space after installation (in a VM). The 1803 Pro I have as VM takes 11GB
    and my old Win 7 VM takes almost 15GB.

Only shit is, I can't test for FLS slots with that plugin, Maizelman mentioned.
    It only shows 128 free slots - not more and not less. Maybe it only can show a maximum of 128 slots?
    Will see if there's another way to check for free slots. Without knowing it exactly, I won't take my time
    to make a trimmed down ltsc-like enterprise iso image as it wouldn't make sense.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. tothedub

tothedub Noisemaker

Exactly, that plugin was set up for old FLS limit threshold, so now you'd need to add thousands of different plugins to go below 128.
    In other means, if you added few plugins and stay at 128 = test success.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  7. Pereira

Pereira Producer

Knowing that it's still possible to upgrade a "regular" win 7 sp1 installation to win 10, mounting this ISO and starting the exe install file it should act as upgrader, isn't it?
    Does somebody know how to integrate an english ISO with a localized .cab language file?

8. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

Yes, with NTLite. Thats the same tool I'm using for trimming down all the crapware I don't need.
    But there's also another nice tool from german developers from Heise.de, an IT & Tech magazine.

It's called c’t-WIMage and it lets you create an installation image from your current OS.
    That means you could install 1903 into a virtual machine, add & set the language pack,
    configure Windows as you want, uninstall unneccessary apps, install your DAW & plugins,
    disable Edge, MS Shop, etc... and then you create the image using WIMage and you get
    an installation image that installs your OS exactly as you set it - no matter on what PC
    you install it.

That way you can backup your complete OS into an installation disc and for example
    duplicate/install it on a new PC or reinstall it when you got a virus without setting everything again.

But keep in mind: the more you install, the bigger it gets and it also will add all your videos, photos etc.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

OK, coded a little 64Bit command line tool that counts the real number of FLS Slots.
    Also made a nicely fitting little Icon in the last hours just because it was fun doing it.

On Windows 8.1 (my current OS) it looks like that:
    [​IMG]

and on the new Windows 10 1903 with the increased number it looks like that (yehaa):
    [​IMG]

If you want to try it, here you go: FLS Test 1.0.7z

Ps.:
    If you get an error running it, check the info file and the included folder.
    It needs VC++ Redist 2015 to run.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. Marsupilami

Marsupilami Guest

Tool is great, thank you. Shows 124 on W10 1607 as well.
    Was the safest version while testing and looks like there`s a reason now to go for 1903 install.
    Will PM you if you don`t mind.

11. nunziaforum

nunziaforum Ultrasonic

friends I can not update everything, I reached 30 % asking me to remove a sandbox program because it is not compatible, .. and after another 10% upload tells me that the system could not be updated, without any explanation, but someone of you managed to update it ??

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  12. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

I just want to say a huge "Thank You" to r4e for all the info I've pulled out of this thread. I am going to save many weeks or more of my life by following the tips you provided in this thread. :like::like::like::like::like::like:

13. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

Maybe useful: I've always found this to be a nice way of finding Microsoft ISOs
    https://heidoc.net/joomla/technolog...icrosoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

14. Ultra

Ultra Noisemaker

Could you elaborate on that ?

What did you find being better in Win Server LTSC than Win Enterprise LTSC for a dedicated workstation ?