Moving from Intel to M1, need advice about compatibility.

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by MBC_Music, Apr 9, 2024.

1. MBC_Music

MBC_Music Producer

Hi all.

Just picked up an M1 MacBook (Big Sur) and I'm looking to move from my Hackintosh to the MacBook (not in a direct backup image sense)

I'm aware that M1 processors are able to run Intel based programs through the Rosetta mode, but with a performance hit.

Still, I'm not sure about if all my current programs and plugins will work direct 1:1 from my Intel to M1 so I'd appreciate some advice from those who have done it.

Also there is not much info on the internet about Warez compatibility with Rosetta on M1.

Questions I have:

1. Ableton has a specific Universal Binary program as opposed to Intel, but Logic Pro does not to my understanding.

Will any version of Logic Pro run on M1 native? I'm guessing my 10.5.1 will be too old to run native but I'm not sure.

2. I use Kontakt 6.7.0 on my Intel. Will this version work with Rosetta on M1? How much of a performance hit will I take?

3. Any programs or plugins you use that outright refused to work on the M1 via Rosetta?

4. Will almost all my plugins that are Intel based AU/VST3 simply work in my DAWs, or do I need to seek out newer version that support M1 specifically.

Thanks a lot for your time!