Move Library Location to external SSD without relocating it every startup?

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by rockato, Jul 13, 2023.

1. rockato

rockato Newbie

Dear Kontakt users,

I installed the the newest cracked NI Kontakt 7 (7.5.0) and the Karriem Riggins Drums Library. Everything works perfectly as long as I keep the samples in the stock folder (users/shared) where the rest of the files are installed.

Since Macs are known to have limited storage space, I wanted to move the samples, which account for over 95% of the storage requirements, to an external hard drive. The next time I started Kontakt and called up the Karriem Riggins Library, I had to assign the new location of the samples inside of Kontakt. This also worked.
    However, my problem is that I have to do this every time I restart Ableton and then call Kontakt.

Is there no way to permanently point to the external hard drive? Native Access is logically not used with this version. Normally you specify the location there.

Thanks for your help :)

3. shinjiya

shinjiya Producer

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

almost no-one ever keeps big libraries like Kontakt, Falcon2, Omnisphere, Superior Drummer, Addictive Drums, or anything else on their system drive. Because as we know, every single computer ever made has limited storage space. :knock:

Rarely are symbolic links needed for them. You don't even need them to use with Logic's sound library.

KLU: https://audiosex.pro/threads/klu-kontakt-library-utility.68288/

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. dondada

dondada Rock Star

you have to do this in the standalone version & or the library manager

6. rockato

rockato Newbie

Thank you guys but it just doesn´t work.

What I tried:

1. I tried to relocate via a symbolic link which is named the same as the original folder. But everytime it wants me to manually relocate the samples. The symbolic links work für Ableton soundpacks and samples but not for NI Libraries (atleast in my case).
    2. I tried to relocate it via the standalone Kontakt app but the outcome is the same. The menu also show the same possibilities as in the vst/au version.

Do I have to save it in Kontakt? When I quit the app it wants me to save but I think this just means the changes in the instruments, for examples presets, and not the paths, right?

I downloaded KLU but also don´t understand how to relocate with it :(. Where do I find the library manager?

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

Best Answer
    It is usually just your changes to what you have been working on. Are you getting a Content Missing popup window? Have you tried the Batch Re-save function? First you need to let it resolve whatever it can. A batch re-save should correct the paths and not scan the next time you use the library. I almost never encounter this, because I download such big library content that I mentioned, directly to the external drive. I have always had best luck with this, because of paths/directory structures.

Please check if this could cause you any problems before doing it. You could even create a backup copy of the entire library, should you have to replace it for some reason.

https://support.native-instruments....274985-How-to-Batch-re-save-a-KONTAKT-Library

8. bobdule

bobdule Rock Star

windows use the regedit location
    mac use a plist file... but i don't know where is located the libraries links on mac.i have none.

9. clone

clone Audiosexual

I cannot run 7 on this machine. but the user can Go To Folder /Library/Preferences/ and see the list of plist files, with the com.native-instruments.Kontakt (version#).plist or version# will instead show the product title.plist. I do not know what any of the string data values which need to be changed are because I never do this. But here is an example of this in reference to the Kontakt 7 Factory Library: https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/comment/48626#Comment_48626

ls command in Terminal would create an easy to copy text list of the plist filenames in the directory.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2023
  10. bobdule

bobdule Rock Star

it is about HU JDX only
    coresponding to the service center individual xml files in windows, it is not the folder location found in HKLM regedit.
    i don't know if mac use a global location file or many individual.

it should be located here:
    ~/Library/Preferences/
    /Users/UserName/Library/Preferences/
    /Library/Preferences/

and need tools to read or edit the plist writen in binary format

Last edited: Jul 14, 2023
  11. clone

clone Audiosexual

Maybe with that the OP can find the info he needs. I think it is individual like you suggest. This is why I left the KLU link, they seem to have some success with this kind of thing. The two values need to match in multiple files like .ninct, xml, etc. Plus, the SNPID might need to be changed, and/or the plist file deleted. He will have more luck in the future by not installing anything plugin-related to system drive, other than .vst,.vst3 and .component files, and some presets. Moving things and changing directory structure causes a lot of work.

12. rockato

rockato Newbie

Thanks @clone :)

The Batch Re-save function worked out. I can open it with the external SSD and as expected get an error message of missing files but as soon as I restart Kontakt or Ableton with the SSD connected, everything works flawless :)

Also thanks to everyone who was trying to help!