motu m2/ m4 for windows sufferers

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by jonathanrodhes, Sep 21, 2020.

1. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

I'm using an 828ES on Windows. No driver issues at all. On the opposite spectrum, I also use an Apollo Twin which has constant dropouts due to driver issues.

2. jonathanrodhes

jonathanrodhes Kapellmeister

hi audio designer,
    i am considering buying it and already collected all the computer tweaks from gearslutz

3. jonathanrodhes

i love technology

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  4. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

First of all lemme say i 've installed 3 of these puppies so far (M4). In one of these i had been working on the computer with it for 8 hrs straight, helping my client record and mix a project of his, i noticed no dropouts. We recorded about 16 ch and programmed another 20 on a AMD 3700X/32gb. But another one of my clients mentioned dropouts when he was multi-tasking with various apps that play audio at the same time, so i will just say that this needs further investigating from me to have a clear picture. I read the complaints in the web but i can't seem to find a repeating pattern. If you have an example, i 'd like to know, thanks.
    Btw, MOTU has been putting out Windows drivers for about 20 yrs not 10. Speaking of drivers their pci/pci-e series was one the most solid solutions for desktop producing and the driver, to this day, works flawlessly. Oh and they were the first to release an official (and stable) driver for Win7,just a month shy after Win7 was introduced. It took RME a year to do so but of course this is part to their commitment of releasing solid drivers only :).
    Sadly i can't praise their previous USB series cards, Ultralite versions and the likes, they all have had many troubles in the past.
    Cheers

5. wavyj

wavyj Producer

Motu M2 with Windows 10 here (actually Mac Mini with Windows 10), I was reading the same gearslutz topic but decided to buy it. It's working fine and sounds great, a step above anything in the price range IMO. Maybe the Mac hardware plays a role in compatibility? IDK.

• Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

I've been working at home with the current generation of motu interfaces for years and I've never had any driver problems on windows. We haven't had any problems with the motu drivers in the studio either. Find the error in your driver configuration. Find driver conflicts and resolve them. Or use a different interface and hope that no random conflicts arise. Your decision. Some put the blame on motus drivers. I say some users are simply unable to operate their own system.

7. jonathanrodhes

fair enough, I am considering your info and I think will get the motu if the shop allows me to exchange it for another brand in case of a f*** up.

thank you for your input!

8. mm5

mm5 Member

need help, got very frustrated with my new Motu M2 as the windows 7 64 doesn't install the driver (code 52).
    tried older driver - same. tried to disable "Driver signature enforcement" with no success
    (the interface work perfectly on win 10 64 without any issue)
    any ideas to solve this prob?

screenshot.2.jpg

9. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Check/update your USB drivers maybe. Do you use type C or simple usb connection ? Maybe try to extract the driver and install manually perhaps. I have tried the M4 (same driver) in my Win7 and worked fine right away, i had it for two days only though as it was a client's card whose i was building a comp for.

10. mm5

mm5 Member

the card has USB C, I connect it with the attached cable the came with the card to all usb ports -usb A and USB 3.

it seems like windows blocking the connection 'cause the driver installed and open yet not recognizing the hardware screenshot.3.jpg

I did succeed eventually to solve the prob.

I mainly use the laptop for music I block win update long ago. updating 23 updates that are not of security update solve the problem and after restarting and installing the driver again the Motu M2 was recognized immediately.

thanks to all that helped

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  11. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

and this is probably why there are so many users talking about problems with motu drivers. they are using an old operating system that hasn't been properly updated. most pc users are clueless when it comes to updates, which is why microsoft tried to force users to keep their os updated with windows 10.

12. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

MOTU advertise the M2 and M4 as being compatible with Windows 7. If you're going to sell your hardware as being compatible with a particular operating system, you'd better make damn sure that your drivers work with that OS.

Stupidly (it seems) I've just bought an M2. I bought it specifically because they advertise it as being compatible with Windows 7. Initially, I tried it with the latest drivers (which specify Windows 10/Windows 11.) When it ran, it sounded great. But it crashed a lot.

So, I dug out the last log of drivers that claim Win7 compatibility. No change. I suspect it's crashing because it's not completely installed. So in the Sound Controllers it shows MOTU M Series installed and working. But it also shows 'Other Devices: M2' and it throws up the no driver exclamation mark.

Anyone have a clue how I might install the drivers manually to get over this hump?

[​IMG]

13. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

hmm ssl2+ driver installed without a jive in windows 10. glad i didnt choose anything from MOTU.

14. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

It was a toss up between SSl2 and the Motu. I went with the Motu because it has midi and I have a lot of synths, so I really wanted a solid midi interface.

15. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

SSL2+ ahs also MIDI, but i only have one "synth" to connect there. The SSL2 has no MIDI and less in/outputs.

Anyway i am happy with the SSL2+ and the price was also okay with 220€.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. Pinhead12

Pinhead12 Ultrasonic

I'm quite satisfied with the Motu M2 (went from Steinberg UR242). Awesome quality, cheap and runs my DT-880 Pro (250 ohm's) headset easily (UR242 couldn't run it without severe glitches, pop, time-outs). Runs flawlessly with Windows 10 and 11 :)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
    • Interesting Interesting x 3
    • List
  17. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

I have a MOTU Express XT on windows. Drivers have been stable I had to replace the unit though MOTU for a chip issues on sysex transfers.
    It's a known MOTU bug. Yes it a midi device I know.

I just got a Quantum 2626 I was all set to top see blazing speed.
    So here are my findings compared to my to my old Gen 1 Focus rite Pro 40 fire wire 400 .
    48 / 24 bit buffer 128 RTL 2.8 on both units. I sad WTF.

Quantum 2626 at 192 24 bit 128 RTL 1 ms. I was that is blazing fast. Shame I only record at 48.

So what I am getting at is that as much as they might say Thunderbolt is like the best thing since sliced bread it's not that much better than the old Fire wire 400 . Yes it is if you record at over 48 k but most of us don't or at least I don't or need to.

Now as far as other things the drivers are very stable on Win 10 x64 21h2.

I have and issue with the device not hearing anything via the ADat inputs to the head phones with out starting Reaper or another DAW to enable inputs. To me I know the device is not like the 2826 where it has routing built in but the ADAt and SPdif ports should be hard wired like the Analog 1 thru 8 to the headphones.

Presonus support well lets just say this email BS is not working for me and they will not give me support with out registering the devise to get a simple question answered. I told them I had not problem giving them the serial number to get an answer but they are refusing to answer my question about the AData ports. I might send the unit back if I don't like the answer they gvie me is why I don't want to register it.

I had a focus Rite 1820i previously and I called Focus rite for some issues they gave me support once I provided the serial number I didn't have to register the product. The 1820I didn't work out latency was way high. USB 2 is not ready for prime time.

18. clone

clone Audiosexual

There is 0 reason why a manufacturer would auto route DIGITAL ins or outs to anything labelled as "Analog".

That makes no sense whatsoever.

19. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

my motu m4 has been flawless for me. but then again i am running windows 10.

20. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

I reinstalled the drivers and it's been pretty flawless for me since. It still doesn't get completely recognized in the Device Manager, but it does everything it's supposed to do -- and does it really well. My buyers remorse has completely disappeared now.