MOTU DP8 (Digital Performer) for Windows

Discussion in 'Software News' started by Studio 555, May 2, 2013.

1. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

MOTU DP8
    (Digital Performer)

for Windows

is coming out and finally available !!!

[​IMG]

The Windows version of 'MOTU DP8 (Digital Performer)' is finally out and available as FREE DEMO for 30 Days... and best of the best, provided with ALL the features including the 'Saving' function !!! :thumbsup: (except the 'MP3' export function !)

MOTU Product Downloads

Introducing Digital Performer 8

3. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

That's good news, thank you! I would like to try that DAW finally, just to see if it's any better than Reaper for me.

WTF is MP3 export such in issue? There are hundreds of free or shareware encoders. I use Foobar for that. You have to tag files properly anyway.

800MB?!?!?!?! ..... 800MB?!?!?!?!!!!! ..... 8-0-0 M-B?!?!?!!! They're nuts. I'm not going to even try it FFS. Crappy bloatware. Why don't they make the crap downloadable as separate download and give us only DAW which is surely around 10-20MB, *I assume*.

What the fuck is wrong with people? They've lost all sense of logic and sense for practical. Just give, give, bloat, bloat, take, take, and take. Who needs their stupid loops and samples?! And if they include educational videos, then they should make them a separate download for those who need them. Daaaaaaamn.

It is nice of them to give it for a free 30-day test drive, but that's just a very good business decision to hook some customers. It really doesn't make any difference, since what can you do with it in 30 days anyway. Just when you start to feel comfortable with it... bam! You have to buy it, mate, and you might find yourself selling a kidney to buy it.

Cheers!

4. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ SineWave,

And this is only the visible tip of the iceberg !!! *yes* :rofl:

[​IMG]

It's a self-extractable archive... *yes*

Maybe not necessarily... I mean as all the features are available (minus the MP3 export), and above all, the 'Saving' function, it could certainly worth to re-install it every 31 days. Can be seen as a major 'drawback', but in an other hand, you can continue to 'play' with it, 'save' your Projects, thus reloading them afterwards,...

Anyway, as soon as 'Team DYNAMiCS' (the Team that has ... the MAC OSX version a few time ago), or another 'glorious' Team(s), will put its hands, brain, and skills ! on it... we will certainly have it full featured... with the MP3 export feature available !!! :rofl:

5. Sarawak_Sam

Sarawak_Sam Ultrasonic

Does it support VST3..?

No info on their page.

6. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

7. m2314

m2314 Member

So you're saying that everything it includes... 17 new plugins, 80 other effects... should be 10-20 MB??? That doesn't make a lick of sense... So you're saying all the technology crammed into this DAW should equal a two-minute .wav file in size??? Talk about pampered... funniest thing I've seen in the past five minutes...

8. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

wondering if we have a chance there? :dunno:

9. danfuerth

danfuerth Kapellmeister

HOLY CRAP HELL HAS FROZEN OVER !!

Or as I have kept continuning saying MOTU HAS NO FKIN CHOISE NOW but to focus on Windows.

As I predicted they now have to offer a demo HAHAHAHAHA!!!

DIE MOTU!!!

It's one thing to only support one platform, it is another to be complete assholes by posting on their site , now removed "We eat, breath and sleep mac"

How is that working for ya ?

Hilarious.

FU MOTU!! and now you are on your knees and doing my Avatar bitches!!!

10. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

i downloaded the demo and it doesn work with my mbox mini,and it s not a matter of drivers and soundcard since it works flawlessly with sonar.anyway,i opened it,took a quick look,i can t say i like it,maybe when i ll manage to make it work with my soundcard i ll give it a try

11. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I think that any serious company should be able to make a nice, slick, fast DAW that works great with only 10-20MB of EXE file size [see Cubase/Nuendo]. I'm not considered with all the FX and especially with samples and loops that probably consume 1GB or more of the entire download. That's just stupid corporate mindset at work to include all that crap with the download. Very similar to "Live"... I really like Live GUI and how it works, but it's too big, and unstable, and the sound quality is not all that good, so I avoid it. I would like to have a pattern system in Reaper... that's cool to have. ;)

For example, Reaper is a 7MB download, that gets you a 6MB EXE file, with tons of FX, and it works great. It sets an example on how a DAW should look, work, come with, and install. It makes your Mac/PC a real professional audio workstation with all the plugins that it comes with, and you can choose to install ReaRoute, ReaStream and all if you choose so. Having an 800MB download that even extracts itself into 1.2GB installation file is plain rubbish. It's INSANE in my mind. Plain insane. Some of us use small SSDs for OS, you know? Like 32/64/128GB ones. Giving so much space to crap, and one program, is just lunacy, in my mind.

That being said, I have to say that I've seen DP7 in action, and I really like it. It's a really nice DAW for everything. It shines with audio to video sync, if you need a DAW to make TV ads, for instance. I do prefer Vegas for that, but DP is really good, too. Slightly conservative and lagging behind other DAWs in features in a similar way to Pro-Tools, though. So I simply doubt it it will make me change from EnergyXT/Reaper/Vegas combination... but I regard it even higher than Pro-Tools or AVID.

Cheers!

12. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Why would anyone care of the filesize.. :dunno: R u on a old crap computer with a small hard drive? 1.2 Gb is literally.. nothing.. nowadays.... Even smaller HD's are 1 thousand Gigs.

Reaper lacks in many areas for me.. Perhaps a smaller filesize is'nt necc. always a good thing. :dunno:

13. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I'm not rich enough to buy a 1TB SSD, and I don't want to anyway, just because some companies and developers are idiots. >:/

I also like to keep regular backups of my OS, because I don't use any antivirus or anti-shit programs to keep my small and lean XP running smoothly. That's why I really appreciate when a DAW is small and easy to install. Reaper literally takes minutes to install and use, and it's my DAW of professional choice. If you only judge programs by how big or expensive they are, you have a problem, mate. Preconceptions are your enemy. I sometimes have to use Cubase, and I have it installed, but it takes only a fraction of more space than Reaper. So Steinberg is alright in my view, if I must mention a DAW that costs a lot to be credible in your eyes. I think most of the Reaper's problems stem from its price, and because of people like you. "It's a cheap communist DAW, yuck! Open source is rubbish! Buy yourself a proper DAW" kinda people.

Stuff that rubbish up your arse, mate. I think, when there are only two DAWs [now] that comes in such a big package, I have a right to point that. Even Fruity Loops that comes with tons of plugins and FX, and even loops, comes in a smaller package. This is just what I said, insane. I wonder what kind of shit takes so much space in that installer. "Live" comes with a huge, useless, bank of loops and samples. If we're talking DAWs that come with lots of FX and plugins in one package, I think Reaper and Fruity Loops are kings of that domain.

14. hfeuhfz7342hf724

hfeuhfz7342hf724 Noisemaker

You aren't even a potential customer I presume, so companies like them don't give a fuck about your opinion I guess.

An installer with the opportunity to select which components to install would be nice though...

15. danfuerth

danfuerth Kapellmeister

Presonus Studio One takes the Crown as the smallest vs features.

At 50 megs packed it is crazy what you get in features.

Omitting true mono 1 channel tracks was the most dumbest dumb ass mistake the Reaper Devs made with Reaper.

And now it is costing them as many issues relate to that.

The doubling of CPU usage on mono tracks as you have to manually uncheck the VST pins on the second channel of every friken plugin.

Can not have VST3 plugins because Reaper does not have 1 channel tracks as VST3 plugins work only in TRACK TYPE daw's and look at the channel on the track to load the MONO or Stereo or Surround plugin version

VST3 effects are 1 effect not seperate mono or stereo or surround.

This and tons of issues and workarounds with Reaper is the Reason I do not use Reaper anymore

16. tkrojam

tkrojam Guest

Why there is no response after I double clicked the installer and I found the installer log staid:

[0B3C:0B40][2013-05-03T11:48:07]: Burn v3.6.2520.0, path: C:\Users\tkrojam\Desktop\MOTU Digital Performer 8\SETUP.exe, cmdline: '-burn.unelevated BurnPipe.{5ACEE16E-B484-4740-9638-DB2F872AF363} {9C0AB6B1-E080-44B1-9EB8-8EFCEEE40593} 2948'
    [0B3C:0B40][2013-05-03T11:48:08]: Setting string variable 'WixBundleLog' to value 'C:\Users\tkrojam\AppData\Local\Temp\Digital_Performer_8.0_2013050311
    4808.log'
    [0B3C:0B40][2013-05-03T11:48:08]: Setting string variable 'WixBundleName' to value 'Digital Performer 8.0'
    [0B3C:0B40][2013-05-03T11:48:08]: Setting string variable 'WixBundleOriginalSource' to value 'C:\MOTU Digital Performer 8\SETUP.exe'
    [0B3C:0B40][2013-05-03T11:48:08]: Error 0x80070005: Failed to load UX DLL.
    [0B3C:0B40][2013-05-03T11:48:08]: Error 0x80070005: Failed to load UX.
    [0B3C:0B40][2013-05-03T11:48:08]: Error 0x80070005: Failed while running
    [0B3C:0B40][2013-05-03T11:48:08]: Error 0x80070005: Failed to run per-user mode.

Anyone please help~

17. danfuerth

danfuerth Kapellmeister

:thumbsup: Expired Demo LOL LMFAO BIG FAIL. 1 gig download to tell you "the demo has expired please purchase a licence"

Motu what a big ass Fail.

They can not even get their 30 day demo to run after install as it tell's you that the demo as expired

All I want to do is run it once and LAUGH my ass off, then uninstall it.

All those "We eat , sleep and breath mac" years Motu always used the Mac to protect Digital Performer.

Some companies have used the Mac as antipiracy method. You can steal the App, but you are going to have to buy a $2000 mac

I bet motu was scared shitless after Apple was forced to switch to intel thus ending Apple's hardware monopoly.

18. studiocraig

studiocraig Newbie

sorry Dan , Digital performer has ben working great for me for the past 15 years, but to each there own . Use what works for you , all the DAWS have there pluses and minuses.

19. jeremingway

jeremingway Noisemaker

hi guy
    i'm working on PC
    just to help me
    what is wrong with dp8?
    can you tell me all bug what you find?
    the only thing what i found is the fonts sizes
    witch fonctions are not working or crash?
    Thank to help & your time for all your answers