Motorola DSP563xx Emulator (BETA Download Now) (Access Virus, Nord Lead, Waldorf MW...)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ayahuasca, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Gre89

Gre89 Member

Oh, that's interesting to hear! I guess it counts as a feature then. :)

Actually the Virus is presented at a synth for music in band contexts like rock and industrial as well. Also you'll get thrown at with Drum n Bass presets when you start a virus in factory condition and most built in presets are experimental. You'll have to download banks or program it yourself to get to Trance & Hardstyle heaven.

2. livemouse

livemouse Producer

did anyone else notice if their Virus emulation timing is a bit laggy when looping?
    better question, if you have an original access virus synth and use your DAW to send it MIDI, and your DAW is playing back a small MIDI loop, does the real one lag too?

3. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

best Virus Preset ist the -INIT- Preset, the portal to new lovely custom sounds

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. clone

clone Audiosexual

No. But the emulator is probably not lagging either, it's your CPU being stressed heavily.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

The emulator inntroduce latency.

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

yes, but he is asking about drift in timing, not latency. in his example, he is triggering everything via midi loops; not playing the synth. they are different things. it even depends how you connect the hw virus. if there was actual midi "lag", it would still be present when you do a bounce of the material. (unless multi-cpu) the latency is going to be distributed across the rest of the system and you would not notice it. his "drift" or lag, would be a big problem. Latency is more of an annoyance, unless you are a very good player. which I most certainly am not. then you just :suicide:

Latency refers to a short period of delay (usually measured in milliseconds) between when an audio signal enters a system and when it emerges.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
  7. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Well its as laggy and timing is off as the HW plus some bugs, which were not found so far.

Hmm i read that the emu internal midi clock had an error, which was recently fixed.

Not sure if you are on teh discord, but the HW ROM code has self modifying code, which sometimes holds back for some ms and then you get CPU spikes, thats normal we all have this and this can lead to lag.

Also on top of that the JIT, which translate the ROM code, also has to regenerate his translated code. I mean its still a realtime translation of DSP56300 code into readable code for the EMU. We shouldnt forget.
    (I am no expert in this at all, just what i understand so far.)

If you have more question or think you found bugs, etc, just come to the discord!
    Here is the link: https://discord.gg/mveFUNbNCK

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

I didn't notice this so far, probably because I almost always will resample anything I create from the DSPEMU, for CPU management. Hopefully it will be fixed soon if it's really happening.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. livemouse

livemouse Producer

I think it may just be in the way the original synth BIN handles clock reset signals from the DAW. I always work in loop sections when using any vst synth and normally I don't get "arrhythmia" in the playback, and i imagine this is because the technology is a couple decades further now. It seems to me that the emulator behaves like an older outboard midi controlled synth. (because it is) :)

I am very interested in using this synth more.

I also wonder what is holding us back from buying a motorola chip and building home brew HW clones?

• Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  10. clone

clone Audiosexual

some of the coolest sounds I have ever gotten from the virus was when it was playing along with Logic triggering it, and then you hit the spacebar to stop playback. It flips out for about 2 seconds sometimes. it's great :). The only problem is you just stopped your DAW from recording it.

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

It passed through my senile head, too, but then I remembered that these chips are not being manufactured any more. Also, some clever chap would have to make a nicely complicated circuit board for it, with an USB interface for MIDI [or real MIDI I/O, yum! :)], and add an EPROM or better flash RAM [much easier to erase and reprogram] for loading various firmwares. It would be a bit complicated project... but not impossible at all. I imagine it could be possibly made as small as a box the size of a DVD-ROM. :) Good creative thinking! :wink:

Edit: one problem I can see with this is that you couldn't change Motorola chips, so with Motorola 56303 you could only run Virus C, Microkorg, and MS2000 one at a time... hmmm still it's not really "only" :) and our CPUs could stay free for Divas and other CPU intensive tasks.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  12. livemouse

livemouse Producer

Maybe the thing can be run with a properly interfaced sharc processor now. Maybe this guy could do it.

13. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Yes, FPGA chip could emulate any Motorola... [thinking face, fondling beard :)] that's extremely interesting. With one, couple, or even 4 SHARCs especially, it could be possible to emulate every synth from that list I, or rather Ayahuasca, posted. Strange it didn't occur to me, especially since FPGA chips have been very popular for audio cards for quite a while. RME uses them. for instance. :wink:

Gracious fuck! Somebody should make a startup for that thingie! :headbang:

14. clone

clone Audiosexual

I would not build one. Well, for a fun DIY project of course. But by the time you are done sourcing all your parts and any sheet metal fabrication for a panel; you are probably 3/4 the way to buying a hw virus. The only difference is a DIY box will be worth little should you ever decide to resell it. (of course this depends on build quality, like always).

they are too easy to find used to deal with it. and an unlicensed commercial venture would probably get you sued lol. anyone can say in an email "they don't mind" some attempt at it. But should you start making any real money, attitudes toward it will quickly change.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
  15. livemouse

livemouse Producer

Maybe, but I would like to have a motorola emu box that costs 3/4 the price of a Virus C that can also load a Nord Drum. :)

16. telekom

telekom Member

I know in the gaming industry they've been able to use FPGA technology to basically make carbon copies of various gaming chips for different types of retro game consoles. I wonder if these same FPGA boards could be used for this? Just a thought, I'm not at all a programmer and know very little about DSP technology.

17. Psychoacoustic

Psychoacoustic Producer

1.2.6 beta now available, more performance improvements too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  18. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

It will be revised again, bit later. There are some reported bugs, in presets etc....hotfix coming soon

19. Psychoacoustic

Psychoacoustic Producer

Yeah, I jumped the gun. 1.2.7 beta has a few bugs too, but the improved performance is nice.

20. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

The fuck? Why bollocks? They still working for improving performance and fixing bugs/crashes.