Most Over-Rated Plugin / Developer

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ted Smithton, Dec 28, 2017.

1. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

One may hate Waves for their greedy waves upgrade plan, but they have a couple of incredibly useful, rock soild and outstanding plugins. Like Waves Doubler, L1, L2, SSL Bundle, API Bundle, Scheps Omni channel, H-Delay, RBass, puigtec EQ, CLA comps, just to name a few.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  2. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Sorry, I think you have no idea what you are talking about.

Bx console N: Beatuiful low and high end
    Bx console 4000 E and G. Considered by some to be one of the best SSL channel strips out there. Great tone shaping tool. Great sounding, too.
    Bx townhouse compressor. My go to bus compressor.

TMT is not a joke – if you know how to use it.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. jamzprod

jamzprod Noisemaker

Well that's the point, we're not talking about our favorite products, but the output as a whole.

Kontakt and transient master are the only things I use from them. But as a whole, I think their products have been passed by many other companies.

4. zaer

zaer Member

Measure all SSL brainworx , isn't great
    TMT (isn't incredible just like you play lotto and creat difference between left/right in gain

acustica overated

lot of EQ

5. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

You like measuring plugins? Good for you!
    Unlike me mortal peasant who actually has to use them for production work because I have to make a living off of it.
    I really care much about your opinion based on some measurements. It's really so much more valuable than my personal experience with plugins I've acquired in the past decade. YOU ARE TRULY #BLESSED!

6. zaer

zaer Member

when you set a 3khz it boost at 4.9khz( something in this aera) like the last wave, prefer use the DAW EQ or one with good ergonomy and dynamic,.... (fabfilter, melda, wave tdr nova,... you get choice) And what you see is what you get, if i hear a resonance at 3khz i don't have to swipe with the ssl emulation to find the good setting who reduce the 3khz. Win time and precision so quality.
    I always measure vst before buy, and of course do real use test too. It save lot of money

7. pizzafresser

pizzafresser Producer

I know you were trolling when you said U-He. They probably make the best VST instruments in the business but don't get nearly the attention and recognition they deserve, while others like Xfer got really big in a really short period of time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Rock Star

Not to beat a dead horse, but Waves wins, as they're always touted as having untouchable plugins as per quality.
    Personally, though none of these companies make as many plugins, I'll take a few plugins from each of a few companies, DMG, Black Rooster, Fuse, Voxengo, and McDSP (among others,) over their Waves counterparts any day of the week. Now, this isn't saying that Waves makes crap, but they fit the bill for the most overrated.
    Contenders for the title? Native Instruments, as they have more misses than hits--Kontakt and Maschine can't make up for Traktor, Massive, and Guitar Rig being savagely overrated, as are many of their only mediocre plugins and libraries.
    And for a top three, round-out? Fabfilter, which are good plugins, but they aren't the end-all/say-all of everything like so many people would have you believe.
    Just my 2 cents...

9. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

dont forget bx_stereomaker and bx_dyn_eq ive used that one a ton before fabfilter pro q3 came out

10. tun

tun Rock Star

each to their own. i was pulling your leg, you are entitled to like whatever you want :)
    for me reaktor is one of my favourite tools of all time. so much love! <3

11. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Yeah, I was maybe exaggerating (for rhetorical effect) by saying 99.9%.
    But a handful of plugins that we use out of the (172? +200 sg? +?) is closer than you'd think to that percentage?

Way to prove the point! =)
    It's not how good / bad (per se) just undeserved hype. Compare (for instance) DIVA to Legend or even freebie Reaktor stuff. Zero hype for the latter, max hype for the former. Also less accurate modelling, more resource use.