Most interesting, useful books on music you have read!

Discussion in 'Education' started by Auxiee, Aug 7, 2022.

1. Auxiee

Auxiee Member

Best books you've read about music on things that helped your production, satisfied an interest , or helped fuel curiosity/gave you a boner ?

3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

The 4th Edition Mastering Engineer's Handbook - 28,96 €
    Paperback / English / By (author) Bobby Owsinski

Audio mastering is the final step in the audio production process, polishing the recording's final mix and prepping it for release and distribution. This fourth edition of Bobby Owsinski's classic The Mastering Engineer's Handbook is a thoroughly updated and comprehensive manual on the art and science of creating well-mastered recordings.

Today's musicians and engineers have many high quality and low cost software-based mastering tools available to them, but the challenge is to understand those tools and learn to use them wisely.

Redesigned and updated to reflect both the latest in technology and recent changes in the marketplace, this new edition shows you both the fundamentals, and the advanced aspects of both self-mastering, and prepping your mix for mastering by a pro.
    Topics covered include: Techniques for making a hot-level master A comprehensive look at mastering for vinyl including the format's latest technology improvements Mastering techniques for the best sounding online streams An overview of the tools required for successful self-mastering

The book also features interviews with a number of legendary mastering engineers discussing their techniques and tips that will help you master your own music with style and technical know-how. Give your music the benefit of the expertise you'll find with The Mastering Engineer's Handbook, Fourth Edition.

www.amazon.de/Mastering-Engineers-Handbook-4th/dp/0998503363
    www.bookdepository.com/4th-Edition-Mastering-Engineers-Handbook-Bobby-Owsinski/9780998503363

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Genoveva Bernhard

Genoveva Bernhard Producer

This is easy. When I first picked up the guitar in my teen years, I didn't know a string from a hole in the wall, but I got my grubby little fingers on a Django Rheinhardt book of chords and scales. I don't remember if it was a Mel Bay book. In any case, to this day, I'd say that was the impost import teaching tool I'd ever had.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

Polyrhythms by Peter Magadini

6. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

The Sound Book by Trevor Cox (Author)
    The Science of the Sonic Wonders of the World

"A lucid and passionate case for a more mindful way of listening to and engaging with musical, natural, and manmade sounds."
    New York Times

In this tour of the world’s most unexpected sounds, Trevor Cox—the “David Attenborough of the acoustic realm” (Observer)—discovers the world’s longest echo in a hidden oil cavern in Scotland, unlocks the secret of singing sand dunes in California, and alerts us to the aural gems that exist everywhere in between. Using the world’s most amazing acoustic ..

https://wwnorton.com/books/The-Sound-Book/

7. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

KLF: Chaos Magic Music Money.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. 洋鬼子

洋鬼子 Producer

The main books that I have read so far have been music theory books.
    For any german reader I would probably recommend Arnold Schönberg's "Die Harmonielehre".
    Rick Beato's Book is also good and has interesting content.
    If you are into metal mixing you should check out Ermin Hamidovic's " The systematic mixing guide"

9. FrankPig

FrankPig Platinum Record

How Music Works by David Byrne

10. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

Thats for sure interesting.
    Didn't he only have 2 fingers on his LH?
    I wonder if it'd make sense to learn his style of musicianship as someone who doesn't have that disability though.

I wouldn't recommend starting with Schönberg except if you want to focus on composing for a piano.
    De La Motte's book is better for beginners because he makes you understand how harmony works in a historic context (which is similar to learning about different genres, Baroque and Romantic are sort of different musical genres in the end, it gets more obvious if we talk about classical music before and after Bach) and exposes you to a wider variety of ideas leaving it up to you if you want to further research them or not.

11. 洋鬼子

洋鬼子 Producer

I think the book is for sure not beginner friendly but if you have some basic background knowledge it can help extremely.
    The many chord progression examples also often help to get a better understanding of the sound that specific things can create

12. fabioless

fabioless Noisemaker

13. Ghostrider DZ

Ghostrider DZ Newbie

Mixing Secrets for the Small studio by Mike Senior

14. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

The Beatles Complete, even though the guitar chords are probably wrong (usually added by a piano player in those days).

15. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Here, There, and Everywhere by Geoff Emerick. Also, Ken Scott's book (the title escapes me at the moment).

16. Martin Lee

Martin Lee Member

A very good book for not only saxophone players:
    Findings - My Experience With The Soprano Saxophone by Steve Lacy. In French and English, out of print and not easy to come by.

17. Shirvami1

Shirvami1 Guest

18. pratyahara

pratyahara Guest

19. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

20. Colrik

Colrik Noisemaker

- Traité d'harmonie ("Theory of Harmony") by Arnold Schoenberg - Ed. J.C. Lattes
    - A Modern Method for Guitar by William Levitt, 3 volumes - Berklee Press

21. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

[​IMG]