Morphing Original Instrument Sound into Another Over Time, Not Crossfading.

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by jeffglobal, May 8, 2016.

1. jeffglobal

jeffglobal Producer

I'm trying to get a sound like a flute to morph over about 30 seconds into a trumpet. Going from all flute to mixtures of flute and trumpet to all trumpet over time.

I don't want to "crossfade" the sounds, cause then I'd run two instances of Kontakt and just automate the faders. I want a morph of the actual sounds analogous to visual shapeshifting we see in movies.

I saw I could do something like that within the layer level in Omnisphere, but I don't like any of those sounds I've heard so far. I saw I could "morph" one sound with the other in Absynth but not thru it to the second sound. (At least my ears thinks it's a complete mix when the slider goes 100% morph).

I think I saw somewhere a reference to Mmorph, and I thought I saw another vsti/au that could take any sound and morph it, but idk if it's the Absynth FX or the Omnisphere FX or neither.

Is there a simple solution? Cause I want to eventually generalize this process making even the drums become what they've always wanted to be some times: melodies! And vocals, percussive; atmosphere the focus; and wind, vocals and back again.

3. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

4. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

The simplest way I can think of doing that would be with Kore 2 plus you get XY-pads to shape your morphing.

Absynth allows you to set samples as sources for it's oscilliators and would provide a much finer degree of control.

Then again you could load two instances of Absynth inside Kore 2...

5. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Yep, Alchemy. Sample the sounds, load'em up and crossfade. Simple.

6. jeffglobal

jeffglobal Producer

@subGENRE K, tyvm. There might be a problem if I use samples that are too different or not beat sync'd or something it looks like but, I'll test and see.

@Pinkman
    Ok, ty I'll look into Kore 2 and/or with 2 instances of Absynth

Now that you mention it, I think Absynth has an audio in, or was it sample? or both maybe... (I just shut off my other computer. The computers I don't want attacked don't connect to the internet) so I'll check it out again and review my tutorials, but those kicked my butt the first time. Idk if that's using Absynth in it's FX mode, but I'll look further into it.

Yo, NI says it's discontinuing support for Kore 2(!) So idk if I should learn it...

@jayxflash Second vote for Alchemy. I'll investigate...

[Edit] Uh oh, I'm getting a "no longer support" Camel Audio Alchemy...Apple bought them or something...will play with what's available though if Absynth stays inscrutable...Since it will be samples, does Kontakt under the hood have this ability? Idk, I just noticed Kontakt had an "under the hood" 3 days ago cause someone told me to look.

The "end goal" is to make a vocal of a woman, turn into say a flute and back again but, for now I'll take a flute into a trumpet. Think of it like "Enya" becoming her music. Not like Exhale for Kontakt, like Enya becoming the plucks in some of her songs! Or coming out of them...yikes.

For example, Enya here is trying to dissolve her voice into being one of the instruments with a lot of processing...but I don't think she could take it all the way she wanted at the time she did this music. She's not just using unnecessarily long reverb, she's trying to change her sound like a synth changing the ADSR curve somehow, it's not a vocoder. Idk wtf she's doing:

]

Idk if you guys feel the same way, but happy/"motivated" women singing, sound really really good to me. It's not because I noticed if the woman around me is singing she's happy, but that's good too. More like the feeling you get walking into church hit with the smell of a few hundred women of reproductive age.

I want to recreate that experience of women singing and then see if modifying it, changes the experience, and in what way. I just don't know how to do it yet.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  7. thecow

thecow Guest

Ircam Tools Trax or Camel Audio Alchemy

8. Warped Effect

Warped Effect Ultrasonic

it's mind boggling that nobody has suggested Zynaptiq Morph 2, it's the best VST for the job, and it sounds cleaner than Mmorph.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. voss5

voss5 Member

In my experience it's the other way around. Mmorph sounds a lot better to me than zynaptic's. Much more control and way less cpu.

10. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

Zynaptiq Morph or Melda MMorph. :)

11. Nimbuss

Nimbuss Platinum Record

It's not Kontakt but try Eisenberg Einklang

12. jeffglobal

jeffglobal Producer

@thecow Ircam Tools Trax idk or Camel Audio Alchemy--can it be just the player? Having trouble tracking down a working version live/dead/real/fake. For win os. Ty, I'll look into ITT, if Morph/MMorph doesn't do the trick.

@Nimbuss I actually have that one! Idr if I can automate the movement inside the triangle or not while playing midi, and the sounds are kinda toylike, but it could definitely help with proof of concept if I can get it to automate...or record my own movements inside the triangle. I forgot. Ty.

Zynaptiq Morph or Melda MMorph

OK, tyvm, guys, I now with some prodding, remember a "discussion" about these 2 before with the same this one is better or that one is better, but I forgot the Zynaptiq one and then somehow forgot the MMorph manufacturer so I couldn't find it...
    ---Man I feel stupid, now reading the description of Zynaptiq, that's exactly it. They may be the simplest way to do what I want. I think I have MMorph, but didn't start to look at the Melda Productions Stuff cause I had to stop going on a never ending trail of trying this company's effect(s) with that company's effect, as I moved from practicing mixing and faux mastering other ppl's stuff to trying to make my own stuff.

I'm excited! thx everyone.

13. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

Good that you have found what you were looking for.

For others who may be interested in Kontakt morphing using AET filter, please find the video below of 'how to'.

14. jeffglobal

jeffglobal Producer

Hey, I just learned Kontakt had an "under the hood" and I also saw since I'm potentially using samples, I should just use Kontakt, cause it's like a DAW. It's just so cpu intensive I wouldn't be able to use my laptop for anything more than recording a track at a time and bouncing it out as a wav.

Thanks for the video, (nice to see there's something more than just finger painting level videos on youtube...or I suck at searching) after I make nice to Mom (running of out time now...) I'll check it out too and I got both Melda and Z's morphers up and running...idk if Z's can do a continuous mix though, given it's presets, but I didn't even read the manual yet...