More mix advice!

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by realpancake, Feb 2, 2017.

1. realpancake

realpancake Member

Hi guys & girls,

I'm looking for a bit of advice from you talented folk on this track I've been mixing down today - only pulling down the top 0.3 dB on the master but worried its still coming across a little squashed?

Been working on soft clipping with my eventide orville to control dynamics - I think its softened out a lot of the peaks but I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cheers,
    J

3. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

first question is do you actually live in upper slaughter?

4. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

I think you need production advice more than anything at this stage…

Why a House Kick? The Kick is too loud btw!
    Why not an acoustic Kick?
    Why Claps?
    Why a House pattern for the Drum Programming?
    Why is there no connection between the Drums and the Rest of the Music?

5. Why not? And what has that to do with the question at hand, matters of squash, peaks and softening?

I can't hear the song so well as I am only listening through the tiny speakers on this tablet and cannot answer the query. Say hey to the gang in Upper Slaughter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

yeah i think the dance drums work really well with the song.
    i am listening on my slightly less tiny laptop speakers so i also can't really answer the question (nor judge the true sound of the bass drum), but it sounds fine on this device.
    ps. i work roughly 1.5 miles/2.5km from Upper Slaughter. lovely part of the country :)

7. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

ooh i wanna jump into to share useless info:rofl: i too listen to it on tiny laptopspeakers, so i cant realy judge either !:bleh:

upper slaugther sounds..... beefy? :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Why would I play an electric guitar riff in a dubstep song? Why would I use a zebra mating call as foley fx in a trap track? Why not is why.
    I listened with some broken earbuds and it sounds great, lol jk.
    Honestly, it sounds really good to me. Nice and loud and punchy. That waveform looks pegged.
    The thing thats troubling me is the hard pans on the muted bass riffs. I would have a little bleed into the other channel, even if only the verb. Like instead of panning use something like S1 from waves and just move them over to the sides. Just my opinion tho.
    Good track J. I enjoyed it

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  9. realpancake

realpancake Member

Yeah dude, it's fucking cut off but very beautiful. Feel free to shout me for a beer if you're in the area!

Appreciate the comment - Kick does stick out a fair bit & Stylistically you could be right - i't's probably not supported by a whole lot else!

108bpm so, not quite house territory but that was definitely an influence. I started out with the drum programming so it could have gone anywhere really. I tried a few synth bits out but after a while I just started to jam on it with some bass and it stuck.

I know you struggled with this one but I enjoyed the juxt that you're feeling nonetheless!

@subGENRE - Thanks, I thought this might come up - I have been playing with the elysia alpha comp recently (what prompted me into soft clipping the Orville) & cranked it's side channel on my 2bus and couldn't decide if it was way too hard. The good news is that it's really easy to address this one! :mates:

@superliquidsunshine The Slaughters send their regards, thanks for checking!

10. realpancake

realpancake Member

It's all kinds of things but maybe not beefy..

11. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

in my mind, id imagine it would be a place full of old real saughterhouses for choppin meat and stuff. clearly in reality its not :mates: