More bass and punch in Mastering?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by shake_puig, Jun 10, 2012.

1. shake_puig

shake_puig Producer

Hi. I noticed that my music is at lowest volume and more weak than other tracks. Other songs and punchier and have more bass without making distortion. Maybe I should use multiband compressor or what should I do?

I use Izotope Ozone 4: EQ and Limiter.

thanks.

3. virusg

virusg Rock Star

well, did u heard about ''loudness war'' ? ...google it ...anyway id suggest you to stay there and not do the same as others ...compress your tracks wisely and use a the limiter just to touch up the 0 limit ...then it all depends on what style youre in ...but often depends on the track itself ...hope it helps ...stay cool :wink:

4. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

If you want more bass, and EQ won't work/well, try adding some exciting in the low-end (100-300hz ish) in iZ O4+.

Related: when you compress music (single-band), sometimes the bass might come out weaker, zo what you do is turn up the bass before you compress to compensate (this is from Voxengo Elephant manual BTW).

5. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ Shake_puig,

As you're talking that you're using 'iZotope Ozone 4', that's in my own opinion, a very Great Plug-In, I don't know how you can't achieve what you're looking for with it ? I mean, of course, some Plug-Ins have better sonic qualities than others, but 'Ozone 4' - or the new version 'Ozone 5' - are very far to be the worst in their category ! *yes*

You should to try to make your 'audio stuff' with this (in case, you don't have it done yet !) :

Ozone 4 IRCâ„¢ Loudness Maximizer

[​IMG]

Ozone's IRC Loudness Maximizer is essential for giving your recordings professional loudness and fullness. This powerful tool allows you to keep your master from clipping while dramatically lifting the perceived overall audio level. Ozone's proprietary IRC (Intelligent Release Control) technology lets you get the loudness you want without introducing pumping and other unwanted limiting side effects.

* Intelligent Release Control technology for transparent limiting
    * Predictive limiting of "inter-sample clipping" to keep true analog levels in check
    * New "Intelligent II" mode provides exceptional handling of transients without pumping artifacts
    * Adjustable threshold, margin, release and character controls
    * Visual feedback provided through gain reduction meters and loudness histogram

______________________________________________​

There's also a lot of others 'Loudness Maximizer' Plug-Ins at your disposal, with more or less options, better or lesser sonic qualities,...
    Below you'll find some of these, just a short selection that are rather affordable and that will avoid you to spend thousands of $ to get the 'Ultimate Hardware Unit' as found in some Professional Studios worldwide.

Of course, these are simply suggestions, maybe you will totally dislike some of them, just try them if you can, make your 'sonic' experiences, get your 'own' opinion, and perhaps one of them will become your next 'weapon' when mastering your songs... we never know ! :wink:

* Nomad Factory Analog Mastering Tools :
    - A.M.T. Amp Leveling
    - A.M.T. Max Warm
    - A.M.T. Multi Max

* PSP Audioware Xenon
    * BBE Sound Sonic Maximizer
    * Voxengo Elephant
    * Kuassa Kratos Maximizer
    * Blue Cat's Protector
    * Crysonic Spectra 'PhyLE & nXtasy V2
    * Wave Arts Final Plug 5

* LoudMax Plugin v1.11
    LoudMax is a Look-Ahead Brickwall Loudness Maximizer Plugin with a clean transparent sound. It is designed to retain the original character of the music as much as possible even at high compression levels.
    This one is FREE, you can get it here : LoudMax Plugin v1.11

Good luck in your quest ! :wink:

6. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

Keep in mind your monitoring has a lot to do with your final outcome.

If your speakers are bass heavy then your mix will lack bass. Expect not to hear deep bass when listening at low volume.

We hear less bass at low listening levels. When mixing bass turn it up loud to judge for the right tone.

Thing to try if that is not the problem, Bass rider, good bass comp, and maybe Lo-air. Use these when mixing.

If you are fixing a already mixed track try a multi-band comp.

Hope this helps.