Mooer 200 experienced owners questions

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Olymoon, Mar 31, 2023.

1. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Hi Guys,

I can buy, second hand perfect conditions, a Mooer 200 at a good price, considering where I live.

I already own a Hotone Ampero, which sound good, but lacks different functions, that devs are obviously not going to solve and are very important for me.

So here are a list of questions, that would be great if you help me with your answers:

1. Does the drivers and editor work well with Windows 10
    2. Does the editor allow to insert (re-order) presets between others.
    3. Any one used it with a bass? How does it sound?

All in all, what is your experience with it? Are you happy?
    Which problems / Limits did you encounter?

Thanks in advance for you enlightening answers

3. izn444nz

izn444nz Platinum Record

Hey! GE200 was my first Mooer, after some time I've upgraded to GE300 lite then switched to GE250 and decided to go with HX Stomp in the end.

First, your questions:
    1. Does the drivers and editor work well with Windows 10
    R.: The GE200 and GE250 drivers worked without any issues. I got some problems with the GE300 lite (dll missing) but was easy to solve.

2. Does the editor allow to insert (re-order) presets between others.
    R.: If I remember correctly, you can do this by exporting and importing the preset at a different position.

3. Any one used it with a bass? How does it sound?
    R.: Sorry, never used with bass :(

Overall it's a good unit, some benefits are:
    1. You can find it at good price second hand
    2. You can import new "preamp" (GNR files with MNRS profile captures)
    3. Can be used as USB interface (44.1kHz, 24bit)
    4. Compact

The downside:
    1. The MNRS/GNR files are not very accurate. It's a capture but to make it sound like the source, you'll end up tweaking a lot.
    2. You cannot capture MNRS profiles with it (only with GE Labs App for Apple devices)
    3. Very limited number of GNR free slots (10)
    4. Very limited number of IR slots (10)
    5. The preamps are more like "captures" and the EQ is basic.
    6. Poor power amp emulation (EL34 and 6L6 simulations are weird imo, better shut it off). Also they are stored in the cab block, not the preamp, so it's a little awkward way of doing this.
    7. Stock preamps and IRs are not that good, but usable (powerbell and evh5153 stock models are good)
    8. FX like reverb and delay are just "ok". Modulations makes the sound "dull"
    9. Has a midrange boost in all stock models (You have the Ampero so it's like the oposite, Ampero has a very scooped sound, just so you get the idea of the overall "FAT" sound of the unit, for the good or the bad)

I must say that Ampero FX and preamps sounded better for me than Mooer.

That's all I can remember for now, hope this is helpful in some way.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
  4. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Wow!!! Thank you very much for your extensive answer.

Given that one of the reasons I want to change the Ampero, is that I can't reorganize presets without having to save them one by one and reload them one by one in the correct order. There are 70 user presets slots, and I have 6 basses and 7 guitars. So I tweak a lot, and reordering that way it's a time I don't want to waste . While all other brands offer at least a separated preset manager. I even asked to Hotone if they would give me the code of the exported banks ( it's ofuscated) so me and my son could create preset manager, but they refused.
    So if mooer is no different in that aspect, I'll pass. I don't understand why not solve this, it can't be so hard...

For the rest, tweaking is what I do ( lol ) so I never count too much on factory presets.

Wish you a nice week end :wink:

5. izn444nz

izn444nz Platinum Record

Have you tried exporting a "batch" of presets (Is it a bank? I donĀ“t know how this is done in Ampero, like a backup of a group of presets) sorted a certain way, than, switch the order just two presets, export again and compare the binaries to try to understand where the order is stored in the bank?

If, after doing that, you see a pattern, maybe you can write a simple tool to sort it. Can be something else but either the preset will have a "order" field or they will swap all the bytes of the preset inside the bank file. Unless they compress or obfuscate the bank file it's quite doable.

I asked a friend who owns the GE200 to confirm if exporting and importing is still the only way to reorder the presets.

6. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Thank you for your advice.
    No, I've not tried a code comparison.
    I will
    But the code is very ofuscated. If you open it in notepad++ you see nothing. But I'm not a programmer, so...
    I'll try.

Thank you

7. izn444nz

izn444nz Platinum Record

Yeah, it will try to show the printable characters so not the best tool for this.
    I use tools like xxd and strings to look inside the data but I'm a Linux user. I think these tools are avaiable in bash (git bash, cygwin) for windows.
    If you have the two files I can take a look at it. Can be any two presets, not the actual ones you built.

Friend answered and confirmed: export and import is the only way to reorder in GE200.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
  8. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

@ inzn44nz

Thank you for your answer.

I've sent you a PM with 2 different presets backup files.

Thank you