monoliths for newbie

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Itchy Scratcherson, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Itchy Scratcherson

Itchy Scratcherson Newbie

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction: my question is about "extracting" a single instrument from a large Kontakt library (maybe the whole library is super-redundant for me, but includes one real gem I "need"). Is my wish to be able to do this limited/ restricted/ brick-walled by the library designers? Is it as simple as the Kontakt manual states?
    I'm not sure-maybe "save as monolith" isn't the best option? ...of course I want to be sure all samples/ articulations are available in my custom-export-instrument, incl. any aux files required for proper functioning/ interface in Kontakt
    Many Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  3. trees415

trees415 Noisemaker

First off, understand that not every library allows you to save individual instruments. The samples are stored in encrypted and compressed NKX archive files, and won't let you re-save.
    Some libraries do. I've found a lot of Cinesamples libraries allow you to resave. In my experience, I have found that monoliths have terrible performance the larger they are. The best option in my opinion is to save with compressed NCW files.
    Most importantly, and this goes for monoliths and extracted wav/ncw saves, Do not delete the library content/data files. Monoliths contain a lot of the important information, but oftentimes the UI elements are not incorporated. Typically, they are found in NKC/NKR files in the main directory. More than once I've saved monoliths, deleted the library, only to realize that I needed the NKR file and the Instrument UI is completely blank.