mono to stereo (sides/width) plugins?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by tzzsmk, Sep 28, 2016.

1. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

Hello everyone,

can you recommend plugins (Win+Mac compatible) which can make mono sound "wide" (on sides)?
    so far I like fairly simple AIR Music StereoWidth and couldn't find something similar (for ex. Waves Center Stereo does something very different)

thx in advance

3. spencer26

spencer26 Platinum Record

Brainwoorx make a free one. BX Solo.

4. Nimbuss

Nimbuss Platinum Record

Waves Center is a Mid-Side plugin, used to either boost the Mono or Stereo channel's volume separately.

Air StereoWidth could work if you like how it sounds, most stereo enhancers seem to add their own characteristic.

I found some Open Source (free) plugins named 'mda' which has a Stereo enhancer in it (best one i've ever used)
    It makes use of Comb filtering and the Haas effect
    http://mda.smartelectronix.com/effects.htm (their x32bit though)

5. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Melda Production MStereoGenerator. If someone else is offering other solutions, please test it on a mono signal, apply the effect then toggle on/off a mono maker to check if the pseudo stereo signal still sounds good in mono after processing.

BX Solo can enhance a stereo image but on mono signals does nothing as there is nothing in the sides to process.

6. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

If you want to do that right you need the Nugen plugins...Stereorizer will get you there, no problem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Stereo chorus, reverb, delay, Haas... ;)

8. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Haas is Win+Mac compatible?

9. THENATAN

THENATAN Guest

Use An M/S Eq.
    Then , Seperate Mid Freq With A Hard LowCut , And Boost Your Sides A Few Db.
    It's Best Trick If You Know What Freq. Area Is Your Target.
    Note: In This Senario , Keep An Eye On Harshness And Phase Issues.
    "Excuse My English :excl:"
    Cheers

10. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

And your logic: he has a mono signal, there is nothing in the sides :)

11. THENATAN

THENATAN Guest

Ha Ha .
    So it's Simple , Just Use Haas Trick :wink:

12. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Haas Effect in its simple form is a natural phenomenon (HRTF is the more complex formula), not "win or mac compatible":
    Sounds reach the ears at different times, depending on where the sound source is. If you add a delay to either side of a mono source signal (~2-40ms), the ear (brain) decipher that as a sound that is coming off-axis and not straight in front of you.

When the two sounds (original + delayed) are summed to mono there will be comb filtering.

13. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

I was joking :)
    On a serious and practical note, I found out that instead of inserting a sample delay right on the track (in order to produce the Haas effect), it's better to send the mono signal to a return track, place the sample delay there, insert a MSED after and mute the MID so the output of the return track is only the SIDE.
    This way, when the track is listened in mono, the innitial mono signal is always uneffected and the pseudo-stereo signal will be entirely cancelled when listening mono.

14. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

15. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Ah, ok! ;) You never know if it's a joke or serious on the internet, as it's just text. :)

That doesn't work. The Haas Effect is delaying one side (left or right), so it's inevitable that comb filtering will occur when mono-summed.

If you are talking about Blumelein mic'ing, then yes - the sides (figure 8) gets cancelled out when summed to mono. Edit: I mean M/S mic'ing.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  16. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

No, I have no idea what this type of mic is to be honest.

I was merely stating that one can minimize the downsides of this technique by using a parallel approach rather than the usual inline processing. I always use this technique this way.

When using the delay as an insert, a mono toggle on the master bus will result in changes in sound (the original mono source will suffer a lot from the comb filtering). When using the parallel approach, the same mono toggle will only supress the side (so basically the entire parallel bus' signal), leaving the mono source exactly as it is. Also a hipass filter can be used after the MSED (on the parallel bus) as we don't want (pseudo-)stereo low frequencies anyway.

17. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I'm super confused. There is only one way to get The Haas Effect. Duplicate the mono track, so you have two mono tracks. Hard-counterpan them (hard left and hard right). Delay on one of the channels (2-30ms). That is The Haas Effect.
    I don't see how you can get away from the combing. It's actually the combing that contributes to the stereo imaging and the brain's calculation of the orientation of the source sound.
    Please enlighten me if you can.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  18. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

Just want to add my two and a half cents: don't overdo it, especially if you're making music for the club/dance music in general.
    It happened to me before: "oh this sounds soo thin, let's increase the stereo image" and then, what happened, was that the track in mono was missing AT LEAST 2 instruments :rofl:

19. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Yeah, the "mids and sides mix-knob". Balance is needed. :)

20. MR. BLΛCK

MR. BLΛCK Newbie

Izotope Imager, bx_stereomaker

21. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

Vengeance also created a lovely plugin

[​IMG]

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List