Monitor speakers crackle loudly

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by MayaMate, Dec 12, 2023.

1. MayaMate

MayaMate Ultrasonic

Hello, I have a Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD audio interface and when I switch on the PC and also when I switch it off, the connected monitor speakers crackle loudly.
    The appropriate driver has been installed. Is there a way to avoid the loud crackling? ( I don't always want to switch off the monitors beforehand )

3. Myfanwy

Myfanwy Producer

No, it's a design flaw of the output stages of many cheap and also expensive interfaces and other audio hardware. Got nothing to do with drivers or software.

4. MayaMate

MayaMate Ultrasonic

So there's nothing I can do about it except switch off the monitors first?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Deuterium

Deuterium Kapellmeister

No, its not a design flaw, its a user flaw. You are supposed to turn off amplified speakers before you send power spikes through the same system.

More expensive interfaces give a small click instead of a loud crack. either turn your monitors down so the click is quiet or use the equipment properly

6. Myfanwy

Myfanwy Producer

Maybe you could try to connect it via a powered usb hub, so it stays powered when the pc is turned off.

But it is a good habit to always turn on your monitors after everything else is powered up and connected. And turn them off before anything is disconnected or powered off.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Deuterium

Deuterium Kapellmeister

just a guess - when you wind up cables you tightly twist them around your hand/forearm?

#failedaudioengineeringdegree

8. RajuPalliBabu

RajuPalliBabu Ultrasonic

Didint read properly sorry

Its the behringers fault and then again its propably pretty common with cheaper interfaces.

9. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

I shutdown my monitors by using a power strip under my desk, linked to both monitors.
    So i start my monitors AFTER computer and shut them down BEFORE my computer by a single foot move.

You can of course do the same with fingers, by mounting power strip under desk plate.
    No desk surface lost :wink:

PS : ANY device linked to ANY amp WILL pop (up AND down) if amp is powered.
    Some will just pop more or less, related to capacitors and such.
    But they ALL POP

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Not really, I had cheap cards which didn't produce a loud 'clack' sound and more expensive ones which almost blew my speakers up.
    However, if the SC produces such noises you need to switch the speakers on later and off first.

11. Myfanwy

Myfanwy Producer

Technically, heavy spikes at power cycles (or connections / disconnections) in any audio equipment are mainly a DC offset problem.

Any amp circuit powered by an asymmetrical power supply (internally) always has a DC offset which has to be decoupled by capacitors, and they have to get charged or decharged causing a spike. Keeping the power source alive all the time can help prevent this in some situations.

Good circuit design with a symmetrical power supply for amps and fast output mutes can result in a nearly click-free power cycle behaviour, so that's what I meant by design flaw.

12. RajuPalliBabu

RajuPalliBabu Ultrasonic

I have genelec speakers that have built in protection for spikes and loud noises. Can you say is it damaging for them to turn them on and off? It always causes a pretty loud pop sound, im just wondering because my electricity is free so i could just keep these on all the time but these are getting old and im trying to extend their lifetime

13. Myfanwy

Myfanwy Producer

That's a different thing. I was referring to supply of internal amp circuits and line level connections, not the main power source of powered speakers. If your Genelecs pop at power cycles that's by design and shouldn't be a problem.

14. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

My Rokit 5s need to be isolated by their switches, if I try to turn the power to them off/on via a socket switch there's always a very loud pop. It's a shame because it would be nice to have them both connected to a wifi power plug adaptor and aks Alexa to turn the monitors on. Yes, I'm lazy.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
  15. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

You can just get a passive monitor controller with a dim/mute function for about $50-$70 or build one your self from better parts with stepped attenuators and a true bypass for about $25.

TC Level Pilot, Mackie Big Knob.....

Just turn the knob down or press the button and Bob's your uncle.

There is no solution to the pops on power cycles unless you want to get creative with soldering iron and it's not worth it as it is working as intended.

16. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

switch monitors before switching off your audio interface and PC,
    there are various more convenient ways like toggable powerline hub, or even remote-switchable plugs (either infrared or via wifi for ex.)

17. itisntreal

itisntreal Member

my speakers pops when the driver of my soundcard loads and when i turn off my pc
    i never turn off my monitor speakers