MODX - How to record audio as best?

Discussion in 'Synthesizers' started by Omnislash7777, Aug 22, 2021.

1. Omnislash7777

Omnislash7777 Noisemaker

Hello,

I have a MODX but am not 100% how to record audio efficiently.
    My DAW is Studio One 5 and Windows 10 Pro.

Until now I liked to use the MODX' pattern sequencer so that I can work indenpendently of my PC.
    After several recordings on the MODX and creating several scenes, I create a pattern chain and convert it to a song.

Then I installed the MODX connect plugin and connected the MODX to my PC via USB (Yamaha Steinberg audio interface).
    For the parts 1 till 4 I use as Output USB1&2, USB3&4, USB5&6 and USB7&8.
    The same for all other parts.

I drag the song within the MODX connect to my DAW and MIDI tracks get created automatically.
    Then I record 4 parts at once inside of my DAW as separate tracks.
    Repeating it three times, and I have 16 tracks.

Well, the problem:
    For unknown reason on some positions of the song the audio was not quantized, even though on the MODX it sounds perfect.
    (I used ARPs for the drum rhythms.)
    This happened on places where there was originally a scene change.
    The bell sound was perfect, but the kick drum on the kick channel came too late, so it sounded strange.
    My latency is like 10ms, so I expect that after my record I would just need to drag ALL tracks 10ms to the left.

Is it a better way of working only to record audio which is actually different?
    Let's say the song is 3 minutes long and the bass track is just 8 measures long and gets repeated the whole time.
    Instead of recording 3 minutes audio, I could just record 8 measures and duplicate the recorded audio.
    Is this better and more common?

What I don't like about the short recording and duplicating is:
    1) Much more work (right now I only press 1 key and get 16 tracks recorded - 4x 4 - I created a script)
    2) The MODX pattern chain or song creation would be useless then, only if I work on the MODX only...

Perhaps I could use Audio Quantization within Studio One 5 after I finished the whole recordings?
    But as said, they already were quantized, so perhaps where are problems during the recording which cause delays on several tracks.

Thank you for any help!