Modern Scoring Strings not obeying keyswitches

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by ghostwriter, Jan 6, 2023.

1. ghostwriter

ghostwriter Member

Hi,
    I desperately need help from some who uses Modern Scoring Strings:
    For some reason, Modern Scoring Strings is not obeying my keyswitch changes, even after spending time setting up an expression map, trying to change all kinds of settings and reading the manual. It's changing articulations at random!
    I have no idea why this is happening and I'm tired of banging my head against this.
    Anyone ever experience this?
    My project is a midi file I imported from a notation program. I have also checked other imported midi channels and there is nothing unusual about them.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

What DAW are you using?

Also, just as an FYI, there isn't a consensus out there on what a C1 is, vs a C0 or C2.... so your keys might be offset an octave because Kontakt thinks C1 is what your DAW thinks is a C2, for example. Put another way, try using the octave above or below to see if the switches work correctly. I ask what DAW you're using, because I know by default, Reaper is off by an octave (you can change it though).

Also, I'm guessing the articulations wouldn't change randomly, but at every specific, yet unexpected spots... so figure out what happens at those spots - certain notes. My guess is your switch keyranges are offset by an octave, though.

4. ghostwriter

ghostwriter Member

hi,
    i'm using studio one.
    the articulations mss is choosing and the spots where they are changing aren't random, but I have no idea what is causing them to happen in the first place. I have properly configured my expression maps around the octaves mss is using, and the notes it's playing are correct, but it's still not obeying the expression map. the CCs that change the articulations (the ones that are in the manual anyway) aren't being used either.

• List
  5. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

So, when you say the keymap is set properly...are you able to manually change keyswitches by midi notes being played either via piano roll or by physically pressing the keys assigned on a controller?

If NOT, of course the first thing to check is the octave, as naitguy suggested, by changing on controller or shifting in the midi clip.

If it seems to switch on its own that usually means that played notes are straying into the keyswitch zone.
    That sometimes happens when trying to play notes below the intended range of the instrument.

6. ghostwriter

ghostwriter Member

Yes.

Here is the even weirder bit: when i play back the project from the very begining (bar 1) with the kontakt window open, it switches articulations a few times on its own too, then changes immediately as the first note is being played. I swear there are no other notes being played in the part .

While writing this I think I might have an idea of what's happening, but it's taking a while to load (big project). Will let you know if it's right or wrong.

• List
  7. ghostwriter

ghostwriter Member

FOUND IT.

So, the channel I'm having this problem in is a Violins 1 section. My notation software exported this channel without separating the solo violin part from Violins 1, so I duplicated it in Studio One, except I forgot to route the solo violin channel to a different instrument. Basically this Konakt instance (the one loaded with Modern Scoring Strings) was being controlled by two different channels (and the solo violin one had keyswitch midi data being pressed). Oh my fffff god.

8. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

OK great :) I was just going to ask what patch(es) you were running because i got to my computer and loaded it up and see so many patches, some split, too ...so many possibilities.
    Great to know you found it.
    You might retitle this with "[Solved]" (and you can select your own reply as "Best Answer" :yes: )