Moby Selling All His Drum Machines at Reverb

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by superliquidsunshine, Oct 5, 2018.

1. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Whatever it is you 're smoking or drinking, i want some too.:hahaha:
    Jokes aside, the first people who used drum machines extensively in studio production and live are ... drummers lol. Most likely you are not. Drum machines have been around since the 50s but from the mid 70s and forth, they have shaped what we call modern music. Not to mention that 99% of electronic music uses drum machines of some sort. As it is now, drum machines are about the unique sound pallette they bring to the table, they are not there to replace drummers, even if it is common in electronic music. Just as synthesizers are not there to replace pianos.
    I 've heard this somewhere around 1981. Of course the guy who said that was possibly one of the worse drummers i 've met hahaha. There is nothing worse in music than a bad drummer. Bad drumming can totally ruin a song or a whole performance if we 're talking about live gigs.
    And in the studio, anyone who has some respect for what they 're doing and their fellow musicians as well, would choose a good programmer over a bad drummer anytime.
    Some of the most amazing songs have been made using drum machines. From Herbie Hancock's Rock It, Marvin Gaye's Sexual Healing, Peter Gabriel's Games Without Frontiers, the list of artists who have incorporated a drum machine in their music is endless.
    Absolutely, and computers are exaggerated calculators. Just like cars are over the top carriages, who needs 'em really. Now that i think about it, humans are overgrown monkeys as well. Hmmmm...

• Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  2. electriclash

electriclash Guest

do it! this whole board would buy a copy!! even better if you signed them SUPERLIQUIDSUNSHINE hahah XOXO

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Yes dammit! I'd also pay a premium over the whatever regular price if it included a special personal dedication! Go SLS :metal:
    Ps: Count me in for the pre-order baby.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Buy the whole pile of shite and build a museum :rofl:

5. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

@kims :woot:? Trolling me :dont: and Boosire with negative ratings won't help you prove anything mr. lurker. You got something to say? No, you disagree because... yes, my thought too.

6. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Who won?

7. My 1984 Honda Civic, of course!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. Rudy Manterie

Rudy Manterie Platinum Record

quote: "...when they could hire a real life drummer..."

Who the fuck would want to be around a real life drummer?!?! :bleh:

9. The drummer's wife of 54 years, Charlie Watts partner Shirley Ann Shephard. They wed before the band hit the big time, marrying in 1964. Sorry, just had to :rofl:.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. kims

kims Kapellmeister

Certainly not trolling - im just trying to learn you that it just sound better with real instruments, real hardware, not all music can be done with some shitty vstis

11. uhub

uhub Kapellmeister

Is Moby retiring from music industry ? :facepalm:

12. I don't know.

Here is a video I saw a few years ago where he talks about his collection. I don't think he mentions it here, but the floor of his studio has like 5 inches or so of sand that no sound can reach his neighbors below him. I know of another fellow in Santa Monica, California who has the same...above his head because his wife has an active dance studio. He said he hears not a thing. He also has the deepest bass trap across from his monitors I've ever seen, about 8 feet deep.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. Everything one ever experiences is "real life".

Drum machines were marketed as being substitute drummers, but electronic music has a long history of trying to offer imitative products to bank upon the familiarity of existing instruments. But just because there is gear with a flute or shamisen preset doesn't mean that everybody thinks of them as being any sort of substitute, instead of an instrument in their own right. For example, the TB303 is so popular precisely because it failed to emulate a bass guitar performance, and so succeeded in creating something new.

As William Gibson said, "The street finds its own uses for things."

14. kims

kims Kapellmeister

Okay...i wont talk down to you as you do now, then i just misunderstood you - if there is no shitty vsti, then show me a vsti that sounds exactly like the roland tb-303, or a Moog, or , or, or ;-)
    WHERE is the bottom end on them

The only vsti i remember to have is Uvi Falcon, and that i use is ONLY as a sampler, i only use samples, i do not use the "synth" in it/them, because I think they all suck
    My wrong spelling is because i live in scandinavia

15. In my above post, I was critical of older synths being marketed as imitations of acoustic instruments. But I have also likewise been critical of the trend of marketing softsynths as imitations of older hardware synths, for mostly the same reasons. It's a much better strategy IMO to use things for what their strengths are then to use them as a substitute for anything else.

That said, I think that there are indeed "bad VSTis", just like how there can be bad physical instruments. Some just have more craft than others.

I have known many people who sing that same tune, which I tend to hear as "I don't know how to program synths/design sounds, but I will happily sample those who do." Since most synths go to 0Hz I suspect that the bottom end people are looking for is the nonlinearities of the analog signal path, with their bit of noise and bite. You can emulate that, but it's computationally expensive. Or you can just play your clean digital files through some analog circuitry. EQ, dynamics, saturation are all things you can play with. Maybe try playing them through a guitar cabinet simulator.

16. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

To me, having all those drum sounds in the Digitakt, it's now much more the music that matters, not the vintage feelings.

17. kims

kims Kapellmeister

Have nothing to do with "i cant program"

again, listen to forexample a roland tb-303 and a softwareemulated...try to emulate the roland chip or a lexicon chip on the computer ;-)

vi can hire phill collins and hear him on a vsti ;-)

18. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Yeah... no. That would be so much heavier than any ceiling can carry :crazy::crazy::crazy:

19. It isn't in the ceiling, silly, it's in the floor!:winker:

And by the way, during the entire time Moby is giving a tour of his kitchen it is implied that there is sand in the floor.

And what do you really know about black mold growing in the moist sand, or collapsing floor joists, Mr. Knowitall. Who do you thing you are, some kind of logical, intelligent, thinking person? Well...so what! Smartypants, take that:guru:

20. Nana Banana

Nana Banana Guest

They used Moby's Drum Machines to make this cool mini-documentary before announcing his sale...

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List