Mixing with Waves NX Virtual Room plugin

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by GokhanH33, Mar 2, 2016.

1. GokhanH33

GokhanH33 Ultrasonic

Hey. I'm using headphones to mix songs. Is Waves NX a good choice to emulate the room acoustics? I mean am I realy being sort of mixing in a studio room? Does this affect the mixing result? Any ideas?

3. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

No... When mixing, you don't want anything on the bus that is not going to be
    part of the final mix. Normally this would your goto mix/master FX chain.

The NX seems to work like an DSP for your media player or car stereo to create a
    sense of space. Put it on your master channel, load up an mp3 or CD track an
    make some adjustments. See if you like what you are hearing.

If you have a headphone mix setup, this is the ideal way to use it if at all.

Headphones and speakers function in two different enviroments.
    Headphones of all types give a more direct injection of audio.

Speakers give a directed point source which also includes effects from the
    space in which they operate (reflection and absortion).

If you have a set of good speakers, get comfortable with them. Headphones
    should be used sparingly. Mostly for reference checks and such.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  4. jaymo99

jaymo99 Platinum Record

Im using it , and it works quite well, is it as good as proper studio monitors? NO but it gets you close. the head tracking this is clever but i find unnecessary. If set up mine as close to where my monitors are in the "sweet spot" i like this position regardless which way my head is turned. it affect what you hear while mixing but not the mixdpwn, when mixing down you should turn NX OFF. also have a look on youtube there are a couple good tutorials on how to use it there. also read the manuel its is actually informative specially when it comes to output levels of the plug in when your using a lot of compression.