Mixing the low end

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by MaXe, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

Bigger room, treated room...sometimes it is not possible.
    going back and forth between headphones and speakers can solve a lot of problems.
    And at lower volume ;)
    Headphones "compensate" lack of body bass with a "bump" in the bass domain.
    You can use a spectral analyzer and solo kick/bass to find the culprit.

What are your headphones ? Because some are really HORRIBLE (like some Sennheiser "bass" urban...plain horrible) and it is REALLY impossible to mix on them.

2. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

Quoted for truth.

3. seriousofficial

seriousofficial Producer

best piece of advice in ages! hold your room at gun point and tell it to chase the nasty reflections out, or else.....:rofl:

4. Alex Philipp

Alex Philipp Platinum Record

It almost impossible to mix low end in headphones whatever monitor they are. And how treating room can help you I don't understand.:dunno: If you not going to buy pair of monitors and subwoofer of cos.
    If you mix in your headphones you always shoul use reference track. To make right decision because your ears tend to tire and you want to make lows more loud.
    But only referencing is not enough. And to set all freq correct I found Subpac. When you feel low end you will never make mistake. And it wil be cheaper to buy it or pair of monitors and subwoofer. And even if I use my monitors Subpac is on my back. Because once you try it you realize that all what you did before is walking as blind. And now you can feel.

And here example how to do it right

5. Soul1975

Soul1975 Platinum Record

6. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

You cannot mix properly if you have room nodes or reflections.
    A subwoofer makes it just worse.

Things like ARC or Sonarworks might make thing better, but there is nothing comparable to a room with proper acoustics •

I know that sounds hard, I don't wanted to believe it myself for years and I don't had the money and knowledge how to threaten my room.
    But than I wanted to take my room a step further and I started studying room acoustics, reading forums and talking to people.
    When I now activate the ARC2 system the compensation sounds nearby identical to when disabling ARC2.

SubPac look interesting, but I would rather invest in Room Acoustics if you have the space of course :/

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  7. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

for the low end , it is important to build up harmonics ( think of a vocal running through a neve or a snare drum running through a nice tape deck) what you get with using harmonics as a tool is a natural compression and even-ness ( think of a guitar through a guitar amp, use tape, transistors, tubes, etc. then afterwards all you have to do is get the frequency response balance, and volume and like you said make it mono from the lowest frequencies and as you get to say 200hz and up gradually get stereo.
    It seems like you already have good awareness so i would say keep in mind transient respond is independent adjustments using harmonics, then frequency response is independent adjustment, then balance is independent, then depth is independent , those are your puzzle pieces my friend.
    the way to adjust those independent pieces, when working on the low end is to have 5 reference track mixes that you alternate from your mix with, this will give you an "average" also pink noise as a calibration which is equal energy per octave you alternate from your references to your mix every 10 secs for a bit to get your feel going .

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  8. JANAKA.NATH

JANAKA.NATH Noisemaker

I agree with this response 100%. Modes are a bitch. I had a setup before where i was sitting right in a "dead spot" for low end. I had no knowledge of this phenomena at the time so i was just really confused about why my mixes were coming out so overly bassey when i listened on other systems....if u want to really familiarize yourself with what modes are...go to a club and walk around the entirety of the dance floor...go upstairs and downstairs and u will hit pockets where the high end is so loud u might fall over, i almost did at this one club i used to go to when bigger names would come through and play it, and there was this 4-6khz mode that was so absurd, that there was never anyone standing in the spot....well it was my first time being there, and i thought i had gotten lucky finding a place to fit in downstairs during a zomboy show that was sold out...i literally like tried to punch the sound because of the feeling of being attacked, albeit sonically....lol