Mixing the low end

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by MaXe, Jul 31, 2017.

1. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

Whenever I wanna mix the low end I face the problem that bass frequency irritates my ears. You might say lower the volume for the bass, when I do that the bass won't be heard clearly although there is no clashing frequencies and decent amount of saturation and distortion is applied. I even did mid/side EQ to remove some low end from the side but then the bass seems to sound empty or thin ( 12 db slope ! for some gentle removal)
    I want the bass and low end be heard and felt but I don't want it to be right in my face! It causes headache when you hear right-in-the-face low end through out the track. I also tried to make the whole low end frequency mono so it won't be all over the stereo image but again I didn't get the desired result. I wish there were some GENERAL effect chains for mixing low-end so I could customize it for my desired track.
    Any useful suggestions would be appreciated.

3. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

Could be anything, could be your room, or playback (headphones). You seem to know what you are doing, but you might as well be asking us why your car will not start, even though it is red.

4. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

Check the mix in mono and when the low end feels right with the whole track in mono, you are there...... also if the bass hurts your ears turn down the monitors, it means you are mixing too loud.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. You've got a low frequency resonance in your room that reinforces one or more particular frequencies such that the main body of the bass seems loud enough but these particular frequencies are far too loud. Possible solutions include acoustic correction using ARC2 or Sonarworks. Also, is the room square? Try dragging a matress in and placing along the wall behind you and see if that improves it. You probably need bass trapping. Another good temporary trap is sealed bags of loft insulation.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

If you could upload it somewhere for us to hear, that would make it easier to give advice on where you might be going wrong.

7. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

generally the compressor f*ck it up, but

tldr if you want to push something back in your mix :
    1 Roll off low end and/or high end
    2 Remove some transients (with transient shaper or compressor with a fast attack)
    3 Use some reverb (Large room = long distance)
    4 Mess with delay time (Long time = long distance)

there is a very deep about the whole topic >> https://www.samplecraze.com/product/low-end/

8. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

9. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

Lo-air comes a long way, you could even make it a little extra dull and let it sparkle again with devestator

10. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

I am exactly looking for the kind of bass illustrated in the examples at the bottom of the page you gave me, unfortunately I cannot pay to buy the book you've offered. Thanks for the other insights. In addition, I am mixing on the headphone. So to be specific, How should get the bass given on that page?

11. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

• Do you mix via Headphones ?
    • Or with Monitors ?
    • Do you have a SubBass ?
    • Is you room Acoustic Treated ?

12. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

I am mixing on the monitoring headphone.

13. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

The monitoring headphone..? Which brand, model? Pls post a sample, it's difficult to give an advice right now..

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  14. Peter Krav

Peter Krav Producer

Name the bass you are looking or write what number it is, they are not all the same : I will explain you, how to:

15. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

Number 1, 2, 7

16. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

I have already given some examples I am looking for. Beyerdynamics DT 990 Pro

17. TW

TW Guest

Sounds like a room problem. Mix the mono bass with headphones. Dont touch it even if it sounds "not right" and finish the mix with your monitors- Check your mix in different rooms, in cars and on all sources You can find. You can check this way if its simply a room problem or not.

18. Peter Krav

Peter Krav Producer

@MaXe Check your inbox conversation! They have a delay!!!

19. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

You're making electronic/dance music, right? A single bass is not cutting anymore.

You must use at least two layers, you don't need fancy plug-ins like LoAir - these are designed to fix problems after the bass is rendered to audio (or in a mix), you are at the source you just build your basses:

- one is the sub: either use a sine then pass it through a filter with Drive, so you will get a fundamental in the 55 Hz octave and some representation above 100 Hz just a tiny bit, either use a triangle osc and filter out so you have just few harmonics above the fundamental - you envelope the shit out of this sub with LFOtool or cableguyz and you envelope the kick as well so they don't touch each other in the low end

- then you have one or more layers of top bass - all hi-passed at 100-120 Hz - and this bass will be the character of your bass line. You can duck it to taste, does not need to be as drastic as the subs (so let's say 25-50% gain reduction in the Mid or entire Mid+Side), you only want to duck it a little so it not stand in the way of the punch of the kick (which is anywhere over 10-50 ms)

Headphones will always have less bass than we're usually used to have with monitors. Either get a SubPac, either reference alot against other similar songs.

20. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

21. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Mixing bass with headphones is less optimal, to formulate it in a political way :)

Even without a proper threated room it is quite hard :/

Do yourself a favour an threaten your room !

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List