Mixing on FL Studio?

Discussion in 'FL Studio' started by MrLyannMusic, Feb 26, 2018.

1. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

Hi AudioSexers,

As you know FL Studio is known to best one of the Best Daws when it comes to composition specially EDM, but when it comes to doing mixing, other daws are preferred, well i made a simple video, of a project i mixed with Fl Studio, and i'm planning on making a series, but that all depends on your feedback guys,

So here it is,

hope you like what you hear.

and please leave your feedback!

3. not sure

not sure Ultrasonic

It looks good & sounds good.
    However, you should explain with your voice your thought process while you click/adjust things.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Cackwizard

Cackwizard Ultrasonic

Hi, as a noob, what I find frustrating is watching these videos and having absolutely no idea why or what you are doing. I need to understand how to route the tracks, why I'm doing it and what it sounds like. I like how you show the difference in how it sounds while you are clicking away, but you gotta slow down!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. oneunder

oneunder Ultrasonic

I agree, without voice it seems really hard to follow the cursor. Made for a lot of guesswork. Otherwise great. :)

6. Medrewb

Medrewb Platinum Record

You need to narrate or else you won't stand out against the competitors as there are lots.

7. foster911

foster911 Guest

FL Studio is really a great DAW but not been designed to record and edit audio materials in a dirty fashion in the playlist. First, all of the features inside Edison should be transferred to the playlist window and also working with the audio clips be facilitated like other DAWs.

I think the biggest problem is this:
    Playlist works based on MIDI clock (Bar, beat, step) but audio materials work on the real time (min, sec, millisec). They have to be merged in a fashion that allows all audio editing features be available inside the playlist window not Edison.

8. Cackwizard

Cackwizard Ultrasonic

Wut?

9. gompo

gompo Ultrasonic

Good stuff there, how did you managed the latency?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. Blorg

Blorg Producer

I think by "Playlist works based on MIDI clock" he means that tit does work on MIDI clock, everything is based on PPQ, like so:
    [​IMG]
    This means a bunch of things, granularity being the biggie. At 120BPM & 96PPQ, the resolution (the smallest time increment you can "slide" a sample) is 60 / 120 / 96, or ~5ms. 5ms is a long time when you're trying to dovetail/phase align a couple samples. You can reduce that to .5ms by changing the timebase to 960PPQ (highest setting), but that's still nowhere near sample-perfect.
    TL;DR: Most other DAWs let you edit samples in situ, FL makes you shell out to Edison for precise edits. Try zooming out, all the way, like this

...to see what I mean (dots on the Live waveform = single sample).
    This is rarely a big deal, but it is what it is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  11. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

You can take the same video, and narrate over it. You can even pause video playback to finish a sentence.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

That's where the ppq setting is for, in reality every daw is bound to clock timings

13. Cackwizard

Cackwizard Ultrasonic

ah. I get it! Thank you for showing me that! I'm trying to learn Ableton 10, and I see how it simplifies the mixing and sample manipulation, but I get overwhelmed with playing with shit and never really make anything but beats...With FL i can actually make music, like with chords, and instruments and I'm never distracted by a bunch of lines and boxes and knobs and shit I don't even understand! FL just makes sense to my lizard brain I guess.

14. swavenation

swavenation Kapellmeister

FL Studio definitely has a bit of a learning curve when it comes to mixing but once you understand it fully, you will be solid!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

Appreciated Alex, and i totally agree, i'll put it in mind.

Point taken @Cackwizard Thank you, i'll try to be more slow, and explain step by step what i'm doing and what i'm aiming for.

@oneunder yeah i kinda understand what you guys are talking about, thank you!

i'll see what i can do, i'm buying a new set of monitors, and a good studio headphones, that way i'll be able to record myself and explain what i'm doing! Thankyou.

i Agree but not on everything, FL Studio is actually a great daw if you know what you're doing, the only thing they had in mind while making it it, is how to make it the easiest Daw to manage, and the fastest to make music on, you actually can record good stuff, and it is pretty easy on Fl, but no optimized for mixing....

but what i do agree 100% about is the timebase the PPQ i had to put it on 24 (the minimal possible setting), as i was mixing an already edited Stems, if i didn't put it on 24 i would have reached the CPU limit pretty sooner, i would have never been able to record the video in the first place.

but yeah you got some good points!

i'll leave it for a video to explain how i managed to bypass some of the hard FL Studio Limitation, i would suggest you subscribe :D
    as i'll be focusing on FL Studio, and how to manage the daw, and get the most out of it.

Thank you for explainning this @Blorg !

yeah i'm planning on recording another one to fill the missing parts, and make it more easy for the viewer to understand, then use both of them to get finished Video. Thank you for the idea! appreciated bro!

i agree @Kwissbeats

@Cackwizard welcome to the club mate haha, even tho i work on other daw, but it seems FL Studio is not popular in these areas, that's the main reason i'm planning this!

@swavenation i'll have to agree with you mate!

16. not sure

not sure Ultrasonic

Just a quick note about the cursor visibility issue.. there are programs that will highlight your cursor while you record, usually with a red circle. Any one remember which progs do that?

17. not sure

not sure Ultrasonic

Now that I think about it, Camtasia Studio is a good program.. or Vegas Studio Pro (I think this is on the sister site)

18. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

i use Geforce experience from Nvidia, so it will have a minimum impact on performance while recording, other software had make this experience impossible, i might be able to edit the Videos later, after recording them...