Mixing meters LUFS vs RMS

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Netserker, Jan 13, 2024.

1. Netserker

Netserker Member

Is it good idea to mix in LUFS? Most of producers mix in RMS and that's good idea i think, but we have LUFS which is mostly used in mastering. What do you think about mixing in LUFS?

3. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

I mix with peak/RMS on tracks and LUFS on the master. I don't think I'd want LUFS on individual tracks, I like seeing where I might want to clip some more peaks to get smoother compression on the master.

4. Don Gargon

Don Gargon Member

5. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

I'd go for LUFS as a "master" meter and RMS + peak for the rest, specially when dealing with various processes.

You gotta remember that LUFS is basically RMS with extra steps (weighted, more averaging times), the only reason it exists is to deal with differences between level and actual loudness perception, but your compressors, EQs, whatever couldn't care less about that, so using LUFS meters in the middle of the session can be a bit misleading and end up complicating things down stream (if you rely a lot on meters anyway).

Putting a LUFS meter at the very end though can be very useful since it'll tell you (very roughly) how your loud music will be perceived, and how close you are to whatever standards, if you care about that. Also LUFS meters usually give you a ton of info by default (more than you'll ever need probably), so that's cool.

6. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I never mix towards a meter other than peak (where I look for headroom). Personally I don't think it's a good idea to mix towards a percieved loudness/LUFSi meter.

During mastering I check percieved loudness (LUFS) and peak, but I never master "towards it".

I don't use/watch Average RMS anymore, but I did when I started out.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2024
  7. bravesounds

bravesounds Kapellmeister

RMS and LUFS are different measurements. Some engineers say it's the same thing, but that's a misconception. Most mastering studios use RMS and VUdb and they are important tools for gain staging and balancing.

8. Don Gargon

Don Gargon Member

Mastering is easy! but the Big Boys try to tell you different! Dont take away my income ! you make me laugh! Just like when the builder gives you a quote & take's the piss!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2024
  9. Choosename

Choosename Platinum Record

10. Spartan

Spartan Kapellmeister

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

What do you mean by "mixing in LUFS"?

My track meters show LUFS to help me keep the perceived loudness of the instrument consistent in the mix. If I want to judge processing, I do that with peak and RMS. Or VU. It depends on what I want to measure.

12. Netserker

Netserker Member

i mean using LUFS instead of RMS, LUFS + PEAK. Because many people say that LUFS is more advanced then RMS

13. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

As I said, it depends on what you want to measure. Absolute statements make no sense here.

14. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Add some low end, bass and and it will show louder rms, but almost no lufs louder....
    lufs is something like for broadcast, rms is a primitive metering . Peak is a pcm peak, true peak is oversampled, intersample, more accurate for reconstructed peaks from D to A..