Mixing Mastering: Which sounds better Master 1 or Master 2?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Trevor Gordon, Sep 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Trevor Gordon

Trevor Gordon Platinum Record

I'm getting contrary feedback to my mix and master for which is better from my listening ear friend....I need more listening ears. Tell me, what sounds good to you! Master 1 or Master 2?

I know which one I like......but maybe I'm off?....ah...need second opinion.

master 1 : https://clyp.it/2v4k52mi

master 2 : https://clyp.it/lprzhvk2

3. Without downloading and running some metering, I can't detect any difference at all except maybe #2 a couple of dB louder than 1.

I think both have issues with low density around 150-200 Hz where the bass and kick compete, which could do with some chiselling EQ to give more space.

4. onekutcha

onekutcha Ultrasonic

Master 1 is better for me. Very similar to the other, but sounds a bit more punchier. They are both so close, almost makes me think my choice is only psychological. However after listening to them blind Master 1 came out to be the better for me all the time. And Fudsey Plange might be right with the EQ advice.

5. modelarmy

modelarmy Ultrasonic

Master 1 is my NO.1. Sounds better.

6. Trevor Gordon

Thanks....yeah, that's the favorable one to my ears too.

7. burgvogt

burgvogt Kapellmeister

It's definitely number one. Mor punch and more clarity

8. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

Problem with both of them is global compression is used excessively to force the mix to come together. No need for visual analysis, you can hear the GR killing the transients and tugging away at both of them. Example 1 was forced more together, but at the expense of being more weighted down. Example 2 has a bit more freedom, but allows you to hear if the master comp was bypassed this mix would be all over the place. The individual tracks should always be staged and mixed so the song is environmentally together without any compression on the master bus. I tell others all the time "stop mixing into a compressor on the master channel". I don't care what anyone in modern times says about it to differ with what I'm saying. This was an example of hyper compression and should be left only to radio stations to implement as it's their only optimal/set and forget way of forcing every song into compliance on the fly. When you can mix the individual tracks without global compression well enough that the song sounds dynamic and still very uniform on it's own.. the use of bus compression in the end will be magical and not have to be used to the degree it kills the depth, separation, and detail of the song.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

Transients are dead in both samples. But second sounds more alive for me.

10. Trevor Gordon

Here's the final mix/master I settled with.

11. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

Much improved over the other 2 examples. Like your style.. not afraid to undergo any scrutiny, and focused on coming back better every time. It aint over 'til you walk away from it. Have a good one bro.

12. musicjunkie

musicjunkie Newbie

why dont you put up the track up an ask to see who can do a better mastered then u can compared to ur mastered tracks

13. Trevor Gordon

Thanks for the constructive criticism. I usually try to work internally, but I think it's healthy to get some insight from others and draw your own conclusions. I'm happy with the final here. The highs are good and the lows aren't to crowding. I had the final master level as -.04 too and put a lot of gentle limiting into the mix, so not to squash it too much. I think it could be a little cleaner and the transients do sound a little squashed, but nothings perfect really:)