[MIXING] How to get that special vocal effect?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Izem, May 22, 2018.

1. Izem

Izem Member

hey guys thanks for the suggestions about using compression, i'll try your suggestions.

About wideness, I don't understand how you make your lead vocal wider with a send stereo delay ? That will just add a stereo delay but it won't affect your lead vocal. I am confused.

2. YFManagement

YFManagement Kapellmeister

exactly its about the sum of your leads + sends
    if you put a stereo field meter on your vocal bus im talking about a bus where all vox related get send to
    and you can see the width of how your sends affecting the leads.
    a dry lead will most likely to be recorded mono so its up to you to to widen it and make it interesting

3. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

You could also do a double of the vocal by recording it again. If you are able to get close, that's a great widening method. Pan the two different takes to taste and process them like others have said using compression. I started using multiple compressors in my vocal tracks and it really took them to new level. LA-2A, 1176, Fairchild or a Gates STA are all good choices. Never leave the compression duties to one compressor or it sounds too fake. I only use around - 3db gain reduction per compressor. Pulteks are great musical eq's of you need eq ,especially the mids one on a vocal. Very musical. I also do vocal riding but usually save it for last so I can get the volume of the vocal track to flesh in with the music and be up front where it needs to be Alot of tracks don't even need it, but some do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. YFManagement

YFManagement Kapellmeister

think of it like 1176 to make it punchy (More transient)
    and LA-2A to level it out (More Sustain)
    for rap vocals i'd vocal ride it before the compression , as most of the time you would want it upfront.
    then do a trim automation to taste after the compression if you want to make certain part low/louder

5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

It's just compression and EQ.
    He (20 styles guy) is however having problem with the compressor attack time (too much attack time) as there are popping transients coming through like a MF (most likely before the last limiter, in that order). He is compressing quite hard, probably with one compressor. Try using several compressors doing a little, than one doing all the work.

Last edited: May 30, 2018