Mixing help, reverb on send

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Hades, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Hades

Hades Kapellmeister

Hi Guys

Some time ago i saw a vid somewhere. They said for example : "Reverb on snare"
    Never ever put a reverb directly after the sound only put it on a send bus and put the reverb on the bus.
    Well i did for some time now but somehow i am not satisfied with it. Can't explain better but the depht of the reverb seems very thin to me !?
    What you are suggesting or how do you do it ?

3. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    Which reverb is it? How are you tweaking it? Assuming you know your way around your reverb and all the tweaks won't give you more, a thin sounding signal might be resolved by EQing the reverb. You might want to to use a low-pass filter to your reverb insert. I don't know if it will affect your sound depth, but it will surely thicken it.

4. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Snare reverbs need to be tweaked a lot to feel right and you need the right kind of reverb. I like Plates. I also like Mono Reverbs better on Drums, because they give Drums space, but they don't clutter up the mix and become too noticeable. But that's just my taste.

VERY important Parameters to make Snare and Reverb blend together:

- Kind of Reverb: Room, Hall, Plate, Chamber?
    - Pre-delay (to not interfere with the initial snare)
    - Reverb time
    - Color of the Reverb Tail (roll of High frequencies, Keep some bass, otherwise it sounds thin!)
    - Comnpress the Reverb with a fast attack. Because that tames the transients of the snare hit and makes it blend better with the original, so you keep the punch and presence of the dry signal and just give it a nice room. Try an 1176 with fast attack and play with the ratios.
    - You can use Reverbs with a Mix Knob on an insert as well, which I find kind of nice during Beat making production.

Here's a typical Snare chain I use on my Beats:

Snare > Saturation/Drive > EQ > Reverb (TAL Reverb, <8 % wet) > Into Drum Bus Compression

Works well for me.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

the key is the density / diffusion so the number of reflections it needs many short one, more dense makes it more thicker gives it more body

6. Hades

Hades Kapellmeister

Wow thanks guys for sharing your ecperience !! Keep em coming...snare was just for example...what about bass sytnth and so on ?

7. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

You generally don't put reverb on bass (or at least highpass the reverb if you do).

Is your FX return bus stereo? Is your reverb 100% wet? Have you lowpassed and highpassed the reverb (or filtered it pre-reverb)?

8. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

worth to check the Power Effects Course on http://blog.music-production-guide.net/power-effects-course-launch-page/ it has very informative reverb class parts (streaming account is 25$ per month) I don't know better than this one

--

PBM was also good

Friday Forum Lives are very good ones here
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoQXINSwuTGmReU4CggLyGvpM_yM4ZoaE (2013)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoQXINSwuTGl7yfcHVIEzRoKvFPuUG3VI (2014)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoQXINSwuTGlleysWC1NsZFKrb875wKIy (2015)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  9. DjTorke

DjTorke Member

i always use reverb on sends, save resources, and gives better option to modified the reverbed signal like you want, unless the reverbed mixed signal its wath im looking for, but generally used, for the space effect, its on send... that way, you can edit the reverbed signal separated from the original sources...

it seems your problem may have something to do with the reverb configuration.... the compresed reverb that 5teezo told you works very well, but for do that you need to have the reverbed signal separated from the original signal, and thats why its used in a bus send, instead of putting into the insert of the snare channel...

if you put the reverb into de insert, and you want to compress the reverb, you cant, because you will be compressing also the original singal, with the mix of the reverb

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  10. Kookaboo

Kookaboo Rock Star

I think you should be more precise with your questions.
    It's hard to reply on vague questions!

11. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

The compressed Reverb Insert is part of my dirty Hip Hop Snares technique. Using a Reverb Return is definately the more elaborate way to do it. But the insert Reverb technique is just cool for workflow because you commit to a sound rather then goind back and forth between send and return levels etc.

Another great way to get a dope Snare reverb is to layer different snares (like 3 or 4) and send one of them to a reverb which gives it a completely different tail which makes it very interesting and unique.

I don't put reverb on basses. Maybe you can put a small room or a spring reverb on a live bass, but I wouldn't do it on some real low synth bass.

On synths: trial and error. Depends on the function of the synth primarily: is it a lead, is it a pad? Is it prominent on the track, is it in the background? Is it played fast or slow? Usually, I try the internal Reverb of a synth first, then add compression and fiddle with the reverb mix and compressor attack etc. to position right in the mix. Artsacoustic Reverb is great for huge synth reverbs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. cc.gwaan

cc.gwaan Noisemaker

have you tried to adjust the delay time of your reverb? i know there's a rule in calculating the delay and pre-delay time of your reverb in relation to your song tempo, which can makes the reverb blends in a coherent way, maybe some other experts can explain further in detail :)

13. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

14. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

Why Saturation/Drive before EQ? I suppose you use EQ to cut first (& boost as last step); this way cuts will act also on Saturation/Drive. :dunno:

Nice tip about 1176... I'll try it.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  15. relexted

relexted Producer

Things you can try with a reverb send channel;

-pre or post-send
    -bounce your rverb to audio and go nuts. (reverse, compress together)
    -gated-snare
    -just a normal gate after the reverb
    - compression (maybe sidechain)
    - Try a different plugin
    - Try a different reverb type, such as plate.
    - Shelving EQ, cutting and boosting.

16. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Because the Saturation needs something to grab onto in the Spectrum to saturate and produce harmonics. After that, I take out what I don't need. It's similar to the signal Flow of analog Channel: Channel Pre-Amp into EQ/Comp or vice versa.But sometimes it sounds better with Saturation at the end.

• List