Mixing Headphones? ($350 budget)

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Qiloo, Mar 25, 2022.

1. Qiloo

Qiloo Ultrasonic

Hi,

I own a pair Audio Technica's ATH-M50X & I'm looking for an upgrade. I work as a mix & mastering engineer but I also produce electronic music (Techno, House, DnB) so bass is needed.

The idea is to get something that translates very well to most playback systems.

My options right now are: AKG K712, Beyerdynamic DT900 PROX, Sennheiser HD600.

3. Oneeyedstan

Oneeyedstan Platinum Record

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Pule

Pule Producer

"that translates very well to most playback systems" - invest in quality speakers / room

5. lowsat

lowsat Member

whatever you get, you should also get dsoniq realphones.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

I trust Beyerdynamic and therefore recommend: Beyerdynamic DT900 PROX

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Adam Ford

Adam Ford Producer

I'd go for Sennheiser HD 600 or 6XX or HiFiman Sundara, can't go wrong with these and you'll get probably the best bang for your money up to the 600-700 range.
    Just make sure to pair it with a correction tool like Sonarworks Reference, AA Sienna, Realphones or Morphit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Raydachef

Raydachef Noisemaker

9. Qiloo

Qiloo Ultrasonic

I own a pair of Focal Alpha 80 along with a treated room but I also need headphones.

10. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Once you become acclimated to any headphone that you choose and become familiar with them you'll know precisely how they translate to your Focal Alpha 80 monitors in your room with which you now have an intimate relationship. On that note, the open backed variety might help you sort out easier the low, low-mid end of the spectrum.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. DKB

DKB Producer

I use the Beyerdynamic dt990 pro . I’ve found them great for mixing and checking masters over . The volume level is lower on the 990 compared to 770 but the 990 has more depth to the tonal balance . I’ve seen people say the high end on them is bright but myself I use them with sonar works room correction so don’t notice this . The low end is great . They will take some getting used to compared to your monitors . They difference in sound was a lot compared to my Adams a7x . I’ve used them for a few weeks , finally getting used to using them now .

12. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

The frequencies in the audible range are between 20 Hz and 20 kHz (20,000 Hz). This hearing spectrum is influenced
    by age, occupation and gender. With age, the audibility of the upper frequencies decreases to around 12 kHz.

13. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

AKG K712 best in your list.
    Very clean sound, very open it does not feel like a headphone. I work with it every day, including sound design, and synth programming.
    When I take them off and check with my Event Opal speakers, there is only a slight difference in the extreme of the frequencies.
    They are very comfortable, I wear them around 6 to 8 hours with no problem.

I also have Beyerdynamics and they also sound good but not so open, you still feel you're listening to cans,
    Their dam cable is too unpractical and you can't change it.
    They feel heavier, and are not so comfortable.

14. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

15. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

I use the K712's everyday. Nice sound, translates pretty well, but if bass is a priority i'd say they are not the best choice.

16. Deny Nery

Deny Nery Noisemaker

Try sonarworks with any headphone that is on the list, translates pretty well

Last edited: Mar 25, 2022
  17. Alexander Foxx

Alexander Foxx Member

Check the Audio technica R70x

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. slidedexter

slidedexter Noisemaker

AKG Q701 Quincy Jones edition i had three pairs cant live without them perfect for mix and master refference

19. MaximalMinimal

MaximalMinimal Ultrasonic

20. TOMTO

TOMTO Newbie

I am a big fan of AKG. I've got the 702. they are as good for listening as bad for mixing. My mixes came out so lifeless for years, but my ears LOVED them.the tone of the 702 is just off, so that might be better for keeping the bass low while tracking and mixing.
    The 712 are rebalancing the 702 a bit, to what I see at rtings. but the signature is still the same, they still have a pleasing but unnatural 3khz peak.
    And then when I got the k371 I could finally mix tonally correct. Sure it needs some tuning. but for my ears it was just 2 peak points and it was done. I corrected them basing on a pink noise. the 702 required 12 eq nodes to give a flat impression. But maybe my ear canals aren't of a standard length.
    Always keep in mind that mixing and monitor headphones have NOT to be pleasing.
    but once you've mixed, the 702-712 just give you the colour and the openness that u enjoy for listening.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  21. Ballz

Ballz Producer