Mixing feedback please (medium-tempo acoustic)

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by ehxhfl443, Aug 6, 2017.

1. ehxhfl443

ehxhfl443 Newbie

Hi, this is my first time mixing live drum and instruments; I usually work on dance music. (Not that I am good with dance music though. I am a noob as you guys can see soon. I have worse knowledge on live music.)

I was trying to figure things out on my own, but except fixing details which I could do later in the process, I haven't got any clue what major issues need to be fixed before I do mastering.

I hope experienced mixers out there could give me a little piece of advice. :)

The link to my mixing work:

Tracks I listened as references:

*It would be also really helpful if you could list some tracks that I could use as a reference. I am really not familiar with working on this type of music :) Thanks.

3. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Overall it sounds pretty good. Sounds like a good R & B band.

How many mics on the drums? Just watched a few Sound Radix Auto Align videos recently. Aligning all the drum tracks is your first step.
    The aligning source seems divided though. It's either the OH closest to the snare or the snare itself. Snare as a source makes sense to me...?
    Maybe back off on compression in general esp if you are going to master it.

4. ehxhfl443

ehxhfl443 Newbie

Thank you, sir. I will fix the problem and maybe repost the revised version.

5. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Maybe edit your first post instead of a new thread? Did you auto align?

6. outofnames

outofnames Newbie

not too bad IMHO

7. Seedz

Seedz Rock Star

I'm assuming you've jacked up the overall level just for evaluation here? Otherwise its probs way too hot to go to mastering as it is..

Maybe a tiny bit of the bass vol? And I'm not really liking the pop at the attack of the snare, just a bit to obvious, again maybe a tiny pull back on the initial transient?

Overall tho, I luv the mix.......maybe a bit generic (as in it feels like i've heard it before) but a real nice song.......nice one :wink:

I have a vague recollection of something very similar, but I can't put my finger on it just now.........I'll post it if and when the penny drops.

8. TW

TW Guest

Nice pice of music. And overall good job. Really good. I would look into the snare again.
    The snare compression or the transient is a bit too much like allready metioned. just listen at around 1.18 the snare hits start to be really "ugly" sometimes.

9. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Hi ehx-something,

just saw your post in the overview of audioz for the first time, so I'm a little bit late but referring to your actual soundcloud version.

An easy listening song, nice, I like it.

You have definitely too many too low frequencies in your mix (peaks below 50Hz!! - even a five string bass guitar ends at about 60Hz)), so a low cut would do fine. Also the sustain (bass compression) seems a little bit too loud (it's kind of boomy).
    A little bit too much between ~ 360Hz and ~ 1.2kHz.
    And some serious phase problems, mate!
    Snare compression: The gentle hits aren't treated too much, that's ok, but with the louder ones you should change the compression values, especially the attack time. Difficult thing but worth the attention and time.

Good luck and keep on.

10. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

Yeah, as mentioned above the piece loses its soft feel too early with the percusion being too loud. Actually you can probably fix your problems with EQ. Always keep in mind what your MUSIC is trying to do, what mood, feel, before you get scientific about it. You're a musician, even as a producer and not a scientist dealing with frequencies. Yes, they are useful, and let them perfect your final mixes but don't go down that path if you're making music. If more people were musical about their music, less problems would occur.