Mixing drums to groove properly

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by SomebodyIsHere, Jun 29, 2021.

1. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

It's been a while since you open this thread but figured why not?

It's not the fastest solution but some years ago I solved my groove problem (for the most part) with a program called XpressPads Finger Drumming. Now I don't think about it and I know it's right when it feels right. It's not a perfect solution, that would be a good drummer imo, but for me it's a hell of lot better than inputting notes one by one with a mouse and sweating over their position on a midi grid or screwing around with chopping up audio. But hey, those techniques are no doubt useful for several styles of music and may be the sound and or feel you're looking for depending on the context. I use a sequencer often and input notes by mouse when I want my drums to feel like a drum machine, for example.

Anyways, when I first started it took me a couple months of daily practice to be able to lay down a simple but pretty tight and convincing groovy foundation without quantizing. I then used loops, midi loops (from toontrack, slate, ect at the time) or extracted grooves to apply to midi for the more complex stuff like fast dynamic cymbal/hi hat work/fills until I got better at that.

Whatever you choose or chose, good luck.

2. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

It's not an easy answer but this is pretty much it... spacing, but in a world of soundcloud and a cloud of musicians this can help you cut through the horseshit

3. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

More cowbe... Sorry.