Mixing Desk under Loft Bed ?

Discussion in 'Studio' started by flworius, Dec 30, 2016.

1. flworius

flworius Member

Hy guys. I actually have a room height of 320cm and think about building a loft bed, which would only suit me if I have enough space to the roof, so the lower, the more appealing to me.
    So putting a table under it and only sit underneath would make the most sense.
    I can imagine building a small, dedicated Mxing Area under that.
    How critical do you think is that for the sound and reflections ? I wouldn't mind to cover the bottom of the bed with Rockwool or similar to avoid reflections. I also kinda think, if surround by absorbers from the left and the right, it would create a small, zoned space for which may could be good for nearfield mixing (if the bass wouldn't make too much troubles.)
    Any thoughts?

3. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

my first thought went to Pete Townshend first bedroom studio, just as you said, under the bed

[​IMG]

I don t know if it s the studio in the pic anyway

I would put rockwool on the bed-ceiling only if properly sealed, maybe I d go for pyramidal foam panels. Think that the bed is already absorbing a lot.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  4. nastybobby

nastybobby Kapellmeister

Speaking from experience (after attempting to mix in a very small room a few years back) you can try all the known 'treatments' like adding acoustic foam, changing the height of the ceiling to make the space less symetrical/susceptible to standing waves etc. But it's always going to mean your mixes will need checking on other systems in other rooms if my experience is typical. You can get used to the sound, it's always going to involve guess work and much scratching of head and gnashing of teeth though. In the end I gave up and resorted to headphones rather than monitors as it involved less work and greater overall accuracy.

5. flworius

flworius Member

yep,my approach is similar...as I said, I use Sonarworks Reference (soon with a single measurment for my headphone only) and its really good enough. Just check on other systems and know the weaknesses of yours. With Treatment first and the sonarworks afterwards im just happy if I can reach an ok, not too verby sound with no crazy peaks or downs in the spectrum. I still can check on headphone/analyzer and thats enough to get a good mix done.