Mixing at 192 khz vs. 44.1 khz.

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Giggity, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Recoil

Recoil Guest

I mixing all the time in the 96kHz :)

2. The real benefit of using higher sample rates at the mix stage is that you push the near-Nyquist errors present in almost every kind of plug, but compressors and EQs in particular, out of the bounds of hearing. That's why it sounds better. You can do a simple test - mix the same stems at 44.1 and 96 and then try nulling the two tracks out at 44.1.

There's two arguments here dressed up as the same argument but aren't. Recording at high frequencies - hardly any benefit at all. Mixing at higher frequencies - all the difference in the world.

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

What is your computer so?A beast!?

4. Recoil

Recoil Guest

i7 2700K, 16GB Ram, 256GB SSD, 6TB HDD, RME HDSP 9632, Windows 7, Samplitude Pro X3 :) this is not a beast, but it's well optimized.

5. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

My I7 8700,256GB SSD and many HDD,16GB RAM,RME UCX,Win10 Pro and S1 can't handle big projects in 96K.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Yes it can, it's your workflow that's at fault, failing to print when just running more and more plugs will do.

Intel i7-7820X over Asus Prime X299-delux booting off 512Gb Samsung EVO 950 c/w UAD-2 OCTO.

7. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

What are you suggesting,exactly?I don't understand what you mean,sorry.

My computer can't handle 70 tracks with 2/3 vstis,1/3 audio,and vsts as much as necessary(many distortions,reverbs,...).

But my motherboard is a msi H310M Pro-VDH which is a cheap one.I'm planning to swap it with a Asus Prime Z370-P II.Do you think my system will be really improved,or not much?

8. Most DAWs will allow you to print a track, say a VSTi with some plugs, into a rendered audio track removing the plugs and instruments from the core load, and later reverse the printing back into instruments and plugs if you need it. This is called variously rendering or freezing or somesuch other term. Now of your 70 tracks most 3/4 of them will be infill, nobody has 70 leads, so once you have a background track as near as dammit to its final form, you print it to audio, removing the instrument and plugs it consumes.

I ran 96KHz on a i5 for damn nearly five years, you just have to change your workflow. The other way to get the advantage is to use upsampling plugs, but there just isn't enough choice in internally upsampling plugs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

sandy bridge ?

10. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

i apologize ...:rofl::mates:

11. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

question is : does Recoil have this workflow ?

12. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

I understand now what you meant with "failing to print when just running more and more plugs will do.".
    Yes I know you can Freeze a (midi) track in Live or Cubase for example,and unfreeze if you wish.
    But Studio One (my Daw) renders your midi track in audio and I don't think (at least I don't know how) it might be retransformed in its original state,e.g a vsti and its Fxs.That's why I don't render often my midi tracks in arrangement.

13. Recoil

Recoil Guest

It depends on what you call a big project, for me 15-28 tracks is a big project :yes:

If an instrument or effect is too heavy for CPU, I samples it, and put it into the Independence sampler, easy :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Yes you can do that,but in this case you haven't anymore the synth's modulations,or its filters for example.But I do that sometimes.

I should seek how to unfreeze rendered midi tracks in Studio One,rather.If it's possible.

15. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

So you mean there's no Nyquist freq effect when recording high freq content like cyms? Serious question because I never compared this for recording.

• List
  16. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

win7 is faster too..a lite without much updates or none is even faster i blv...even if you tweak win10 , there is more or less hidden crap running in background

17. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Yes absolutly,A LOT.

18. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Cubase does this too (there's no other way for it) but doesn't show the wave, that's all.

I found this, but don't know if it's reliable: 'When you right click on an instrument track, transform to audio gives you choices. One of them is to preserve the state so you can revert back later with a right click, transform to instrument track.'

19. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

it should be able for no need to freez...with such cpu..only if using many kontakt instances need more ram..
    recoil does not freeze ...from what i see here...ok but he bounce to audio when heavy load..but i think its not so often , he sounds like that..for me

20. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

but also , i think its sandy bridge..sandy bridge is really good