Mixing and Mastering Tips

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by gandalf, Jun 13, 2015.

1. gandalf

gandalf Noisemaker

Hi All, Please lend me your expert ears to judge the quality of mixing and mastering work I have done on my new loop.Tips and suggestions are highly appreciated.

http://soundcloud.com/mastertrack-1/cozimbad

I have also uploaded the unmastered track, In case your are interested in mastering the same track and showing how its done :

http://soundcloud.com/mastertrack-1/cozimbadum

Thanks for your time.I really appreciate it

3. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

good job !

4. tidus1990

tidus1990 Producer

In your first track the drop sounds way too squished for my taste. It can also be because you distorted the sound too much. Either way there is a lack of clarity and punch that is usually found on this genre. At about 1:30 i would recosider some mixing decisions. The top synth that you introduce interferes with the mix, either try and clean that up or find a new sound or mix decision. Also try cleaning up some of the high end of ur kick since you have alot going on in the mids and highs. Thats just off the top of my head. Either way good job i would suggest keep working on the mix get a reference track and fiddle araround with eq/COMP until you get that clear sound with every element of you mix. Just remember to keep an objective state of mind while doing these sort things.

5. AMERICUH

AMERICUH Kapellmeister

Nice overall compression on the mastered one.

that acid saw or whatever this arcade sound lead been playin there is a little bit too mono for my taste.

you should try the Waves Kramer Plugin, on the Drumbus .. I never really used it unless my latest projects, and the results are amazing.

6. Bandit

Bandit Producer

Things that I notice:
    Your kick, not sure what it is. But it does not fit right in the mix
    At parts you have a lot going on in the center of your mix, some things are very centered and some too wide (or lack middleness); I would look into it and make some other decisions here and there
    At 2 minutes I would try and start that synth thingy mono (centered) and build up to stereo, because at 2.15 that huge synth comes in. I think this might give a bigger impact. Also at 2.46 keep it mono and go wide
    The synth in general is too loud and 'busy'.... less is more. Like 1 minute 30 seconds, way too busy for me
    Percussion is 'boring', I am not trying to insult you, but all I hear going is a Hihat and some other things (Tsi-ta), the drums can be much more interesting. Big part of this style of music.
    The overall sound, is missing top end 'crispy-ness'

I think that you are on the right track, now it's all about tweaking details to get the max out of the song. Keep it up.

7. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Also the overall arrangements/song concept/production aren't standing out on a "record level" yet imo. That's because even a great mix/master can't compensate for the lack of the other stages of the making of a song. That's why is so important to take tremendous care of each stage of the creation of that particular song because they really depend on each other. :mates:

8. fuad

fuad Producer

1) The intro: everything fits nicely, the kick punches through nicely and everything sits well including the percussion, fx etc. My only suggestion is to turn up Michael Jackson's sample at least 3db because it's buried in there and you can barely hear it. So bring it because it will give you some good impact because the drop.

2) The drop/main section: again the kick punches through nicely. it's the mid frequency bassline synth that's could use some work, or the synths in general, just a little bit of EQ, nothing crazy. I would group all of those synths and put an EQ on all of them. Use a Mid/Side EQ and cut 1-2db at 200-300 Hz, and also a similar cut at around 1000Hz. Also give them a shelf boost starting at about 5-6KHz (both mid and side).

I think overall the mix is just lacking that polish, other than that I think it sounds great. Just little tweaks here and there. Start with the suggestions I mentioned above. Experiment with the top end in terms of boosting some of the frequencies. And take a look at the low mids/mids in your synths where they could use some cuts to make the entire song cleaner.

I like the fact you didn't compress the hell out of the thing and that's why you can still here the kick and all percussion load and clear. Good job

9. gandalf

gandalf Noisemaker

Thanks everyone. Thank you tidus1990, AMERICUH, Bandit, Evorax, fuad and pro tools 10. I really appreciate your time.I would be reworking on the track based on the given feedback and share the result of my rework to get more feedback :)